Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Safe to leave an AA5 plugged in?

Is it safe for me to leave my Silvertone AA5, which has been looked over and repaired by a qualified repairman, plugged in, or should I unplug it every time I finish listening?

Depends on the repairman, despite a restoration some folks still feel a bit better unplugging a set. A compromise is a switch that plugs in to the AC outlet-you plug AA5 into the switch. Throw the switch and you kill power at the wall switch, some have a lite for on/off. I know a few guys who like these, like a security blanket. A Linus switch?

You can get the switch at a hardware store.

Happy listening.

Paul

Tubetalk1

(10-13-2015, 06:24 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  Depends on the repairman, despite a restoration some folks still feel a bit better unplugging a set. A compromise is a switch that plugs in to the AC outlet-you plug AA5 into the switch. Throw the switch and you kill power at the wall switch, some have a lite for on/off. I know a few guys who like these, like a security blanket. A Linus switch?

You can get the switch at a hardware store.

Happy listening.

Paul
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look for one as that radio and this computer are my only sources of entertainment in my dorm.

I leave a Philco AA6 plugged in at all times and it hasn't blown up yet.

Slave to an RCA Victor CTC-25

I would leave it plugged in and not give it another thought.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

While my friend used to leave certain radios plugged in all the time, I tend to always unplug mine. Partially to protect the house, but also to protect the radios. Sure, they are far tougher than modern electronics, but power surges might still fry something and our power here can be flakey.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I would say that it depends on how the radio is wired, particularly on how the line capacitor is connected. In some sets, like brand Z radios, they had a habit of connecting the line capacitor straight across the power line ahead of the power switch, so that capacitor always has a potential across it as long as the power cord is plugged into the wall outlet. Of course (unlike Philco) brand Z also liked to use hot chassis power supply designs where the steel of the chassis was connected directly to one side of the power line, so much for the quality going in before the name goes on? On many sets though the line capacitor is on the radio side of the power switch so whilst the set is turned off the line capacitor does not have a potential across it, in my opinion this is a safer radio to leave plugged in. On any of my sets that left the factory with the other sort of line setup I have or plan to change this, I know that using a safety capacitor mitigates any potential for the cap shorting out and exploding but I still prefer it this way.
  Now if you are in an area that gets a lot of lightning storms, I would probably leave the set unplugged, or at least plugged into a surge protected outlet.
Regards
Arran

I firmly believe that if the radios were safe to leave plugged in when they were made, they certainly will be after I've restored them.

I have power strips. Where they are all plugged in. And which I turn off every time I leave the basement.

I believe in myself. But this belief does not trump 500K+ house value and the lives of my family. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.