Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deforest Crosleys'Best for 1936

I bought this radio  that was listed on Kijiji..It is the top of the line for Deforest Crosley tombstone radios
in 1936. It is made by Rogers..I will have to recap it but the grill cloth and knobs are original.
  The nice thing about it is the cabinet is in very good condition.
   There is no dial on the radio. Each band has a lighted arrow behind it that moves along showing what station you are on. Each band has a different color arrow.
  It will be a winter project. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Dan;
  That looks like the DeForest-Crosley version of a Rogers Ten-60, called a Connaught I think, the main difference being the dial and how many pilot lamps it has, both use the same type 26 chassis. In any event they are a crowded chassis to work on, most of the components are mounted on hand wired circuit boards vertically mounted on the inside back and along the inside right of the chassis. Also, just to make things fun, they used spade terminal type resistors in them that they used as tie points rather then proper terminals like in an RCA or a Philco, and the boards are connected to the tube sockets and coils with rotting rubber/gutta percha wire. To rebuild the boards in mine I ended up making detailed diagrams of where everything went, and to replace the spade terminal resistors I drilled out the holes in the boards slightly and installed 1/8'' brass plated steel grommets/eyelets to act as connection points since the resistors were all badly drifted, much like a Zenith TV chassis from the 1960s and 70s, insert a lead, fill with solder. When that was no sufficient I made a loop out of 18 gauge wire and stuffed it through a metal grommet to act as a tie point. I still have the diagrams I made, I can scan them and send them to you.
Regards
Arran

P.S Here's a service diagram, unfortunately Rogers did not see fit to create a wiring diagram nor a pictoral layout of the two circuit boards, something that RCA was good for:

http://pacifictv.ca/schematics/rogers10-60data.pdf

Thanks Arran.. Yes it is the Connaught and the chassis is the same as the Rogers 10- 60.
I have not taken the chassis out yet but I suspect that it has the same kind of boards that my 10-12 has.
   That rubber wire is a chore to replace, and I wish they had a diagram like RCA does.
  It would be very nice if you can send your scan of the diagrams to  me . I did send you a PM.
            Thanks  Dan,,, in Calgary

Very nice radio Dan, should look beautiful like your other radios when finished. Icon_eek Icon_eek  

Thanks Fred.. I can't take any credit for the looks of this one.it is all original. All I will do is clean the cabinet with gojo and touch it up with'' trade secret'' and I might have to re  lacquer around the bottom .  The pictures I took
do not show how nice the radio is. It does look better than the photos show..
It is one of those radios that is a keeper
  Dan in Calgary

Beautiful set!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Glad to hear your not doing a full refinish on that beauty. When they're that nice, it's a shame to refinish!