Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Majestic 50. Worth the gamble?

I was up at an antique mall this afternoon and ran across a virtually complete Majestic 50 tombstone radio along with its original stand for $100. Other than the missing back panel, the radio was 100% complete and both it and the stand looked nice. The only thing that held me back was that the tuner seems stuck! I know Majestics have some pot metal in the tuners and this caused me to pass on the set, even though it's one I have wanted for a while. Now I am wondering, would it have been worth the gamble for the price? How often would one of these been found with its optional stand. I know if the 45's test good, that would just about cover the cost of the set.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce, you hit the spot on what to worry about. I redid a FADA 46 but was fortunate that the pot metal was only used on the bearings of the VC and the knob that turned it. After a lot of work removing stuff and reaming the bearings all was well. I understand that some Majestics use the pot metal in the frame of the VC. I suspect that might be really bad. I'm certain others here have had experience with that model.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The stand wasn't optional, as far as I know.

I have a spare chassis you could have gratis, but you'd have to pick it up (or have it picked up) here.

Almost winter most places, initial cost less than a decent dinner for two, I'd go for it.

(11-02-2015, 06:03 PM)Jayce Wrote:  I was up at an antique mall this afternoon and ran across a virtually complete Majestic 50 tombstone radio along with its original stand for $100. Other than the missing back panel, the radio was 100% complete and both it and the stand looked nice. The only thing that held me back was that the tuner seems stuck! I know Majestics have some pot metal in the tuners and this caused me to pass on the set, even though it's one I have wanted for a while. Now I am wondering, would it have been worth the gamble for the price? How often would one of these been found with its optional stand. I know if the 45's test good, that would just about cover the cost of the set.

Jayce;
 I don't know if the Majestic model 50s were one of the models that used pot metal in the tuning cap or no, or whether they were known to cause problems. Most of the U.S Majestics from then used chassis that were almost identical to Canadian built Rogers and Majestic models that never seem to have serious pot metal problems. I seem to recall that there were some Majestic models that look like a tombstone set sitting on a small table but the "table" is actually part of the cabinet, the model 50 was one I think. One thing that all of these sets have in common is the rotting rubber/gutta percha insulated wiring, so they can be a bit time consuming to restore because of that. If the missing back panel was originally wood I wouldn't let that stop you, if it was like a metal back that could be a bit of a pain to replace so I would price accordingly.
 Used #45 tubes aren't worth as much as you think, the audiophools want NOS ones and in matched pairs, even if they were both weak or dead you can find used ST style ones fairly reasonably so I would not let that hold you back if you really like the set. Maybe you could see if they will take an offer on the radio, see if you can beat them down $25 or more.
Regards
Arran