Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just found a small console.

Guys in my neiborhood someone was disguarding a small console radio. I went up to the house and the man inside said I could surely take it as it was awaiting the trash man. I put it in my car, took it home. It is a small console. Its a RCA 214. Its only a five tube set but inside it has a big power transformer. My other two 5 tubers dont have one. Does anyone know of this set and how it performs?

If it's an RCA-Victor set it will probably perform quite well for a five tube AC radio, probably as well if not better then a Philco 60, the frequency coverage is certainly better. Nostalgia Air seems to have the complete service info posted on this set, the circuitry and chassis is very similar to an RCA-Victor or Victor model 118.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...014833.pdf

Regards
Arran

Hope to get to it soon. Thanks for your reply. Hey the price was right.

The first complete radio I ever owned was an RCA 5T1 (another five tube set) that had been painted orange. Icon_eek I had to put a power transformer in it to make it work, along with replacing all of the paper and electrolytic capacitors. When finished, its performance amazed me. Even though I got rid of it decades ago, I am still amazed when I think of the Philco 60s that have crossed my bench, none of which were ever as sensitive as was that 5T1.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

One thing RCA knew howtado was building radios. The RCA Sarnoff guy who works with me now says that was a good company. He rarely praises companies. One other company he praises is Samsung but more so RCA.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks again Ron. My only other RCA radio is my 816K and shes a powerhouse! 16 tubes! But Philco sets are my favorite. My favorite Philco in my radio collection is my 38-116.

I've never seen a small console.  I have two, and they're both pretty large...  Icon_biggrin

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

My experience with RCA is similar to what the others here have stated. They utilized a lot of circuitry to maximize their set performance. All three of my ten-tube RCAs receive and sound as good as many other sets that have more tubes. 
My 10T-1 on bass boost has comparable sound to a console set. 

RCA did tend to apply higher than usual plate voltage to their output tubes. You will often encounter 385V on the plate of a 42 or 6F6 per the RCA schematic. With the higher house V now in use, this means that you really have vic 400V plate. This contributes to higher performance but also shortens tube life.