Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

custom zenith console project (FINISHED!)

Ah, and to my friend Mike..... knowing that chances are you were relaxing with an adult beverage as you wrote with your always candid nature: Vinum in Veritate !!!  

Thanks Tom for the kind words, I think I'm going to get dial pointer, escuteon and band wheel nickel or chrome plated along with the center nob insert. The compound that got stuck in the upper trim corners will be removed and any remaining will be taken care of using kiwi black shoe polish, it will disappear . The grill cloth is still up in the air regarding replacement of something else that may better looking, any suggestion out there will be considered Icon_eek

Tom

Vinum is not in veritate, it is in my fridge and in proper quantities too. As well as la cerveza.
Which you are always welcome to when passing by, now that I have an extra room, extra glass and a pool table.

Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Fred........Come on .........WOW Just a beautiful Job!!!!! I can not say enough on the way you what you do!

Fred,
 That's quite a transformation! 
                          Henry

(12-05-2015, 04:27 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  I am not a big fan of "interpretive" jobs on radios, but that is a fine job and a nice looking set! 

Bravo Zulu!!!  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_clap  Icon_biggrin

Fred, what you really should do is find an original ebony finish '30s Zenith and do the same thing.  AND then take it to the next VRPS meet. I think this would result in another award. 

I don't use the paste-type compounds when finishing my sets, as it is such a pain in the _______ (rhymes with "grass") to clean the remnants of the paste from the joints, etc... Instead I either dry/wet sand with finer and finer grades of paper to #2000 grit, OR I use pumice/paraffin  oil and then rottenstone/paraffin oil.  I use soapy water when I wet sand. Dick Oliver, bless him, taught me that during one of his many (many, many, many) lectures to me. 

Funny thing... Dick would start asking questions about what I was doing on a project. He would keep asking them until I gave the "wrong" answer, and then the lectures would start. IF I kept answering "rightly," he would change the subject to "are you still using stain and poly finish on your sets?" (I had not transitioned to lacquer back then.) 
THEN the lecture would start. 

BUT thanks to Dick and Henry Harmony, a Great American, I did eventually go to lacquer finishes and have never looked back.   
Old Henry has a original ebony zenith that he may have me redo, I really was going to do mine in a satin finish but a number of people talked me into piano high gloss finish. That model zenith are as common as dirt and this one was messed up bad enough not to go back to factory because all the photo finish was shot. At least I didnt do a shabby chick or butcher job on it, I could have painted it army green ( olive drab ) and said it belonged in the U.S. armys air corps dining hall.

Well, putting it in the fridge is truly where it belongs, so the Romans continue to contribute to modern times. 

Fred I think you should move to Las Vegas. Icon_smile

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Hello John, give me one good reason I should move to Las Vegas.

Beautiful,,Beautiful Job,,,I don't think they looked that Good coming out of the Factory( Smooth Baby)  
,,,,,unbelievable

Very well done, looks sharp, like a fine automobile of the period. It gleams.

Paul

Tubetalk1

(12-06-2015, 03:02 PM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  Hello John, give me one good reason I should move to Las Vegas.

My zenith needs you.  Icon_lol 

[Image: http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r745...83b83c.jpg]

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

No problem, be right over Icon_biggrin