Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Cabinet Amp 1959

Was looking for a project for me and my son. He is a musician and enjoys some retro sounds. I wanted to make him a guitar amp from a old Radio. Found a bunch of sights that showed how to do it, but I also found other places that said it is very dangerous. So I started looking for something that we could plug a guitar into. Others said a record player. Took a trip to a local antique store and hit the Jackpot, I think. Found a Philco amplifier (no radio, or record player) has a A input, B input, and a AUX input. Looks like it has a big 12" woofer, and has electro static tweeters. Plugged in a Radio input and sounded great.

Pretty new to tubes and cleaning up this stuff. But am pretty ok with electronics. My son is taking electronics in High School.

I have done a lot of google searches on this amp and found nothing. Any Hints on how to simply clean this up and maybe do some upgrades. Might end up putting guts into a home made cabinets with visible widows to a cool effect.

Oh, Paid $80

I will post pictures after I upload

Todd Smith

pictures

Welcome to the Phorum!!
Icon_wave
Should be a good project for you and your son. Radio caninets clean nicely with Gojo (the type without the pumice) so I suspect your amp cabinet will do likewise. Check out some of the threads in the Cabinet Restoration section.