Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Garod 31 Tombstone restore

This will be a nice little radio when finished, picked it up for $25 and now is being put back into service with a full cabinet redo and chassis repairs. Cabinet had been painted white long ago and actually the veneer had  been protected, always like doing these radios that had been painted only to discovery the beautiful wood grain that been laying dormant and unseen for decades until now Icon_biggrin Will post later today some more pictures because I am headed to shop shortly and try and finish it. Icon_clap

Attached Files Image(s)

What a sweet radio ! I will be interested to follow its restoration. Do keep us informed, and, best of luck !

Having seen most of your finished cabinets. I'm sure it will be a good looker.

Here it is folks Icon_eek Spent the day at the shop finishing up the Garod 31. Looks great considering what I had to start with. Could not find any pictures on line of this radio so I guessed of what it may have looked like when new. The grill cloth that came out of it is the same looking as Philco 90 and others and will buy some of that from Radio Daze when I get the chance , its an AC/DC set and was modified deleting the vibirator but will redo like the factory using a vibirator. The radios plays very good and displays wonderfully. For $25 and 15 shipping it was a great purchase and fun to restore to its former glory Icon_clap The veneer was not damaged any where buy the paint or any thing else. When I buy a radio that's been painted i check it out well and try to dermine if the wood had been damaged givin the reason for the paint job. If the wood surface looks good then i will get it and the paint has protected the wood from moisture  and scratches and nicks. Another fine radio restore Icon_thumbup

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks really nice!

Crist

Thats probably one of the best before and after illustrations Ive ever seen.
Just amazing the nice veneer we uncover during the strip process.
A beautiful thing now.

Very nice work. Very pretty. But.... how does it PLAY ?

The radio plays very nice and has nice tone, treble and bass seem very good coming from this 5 toober set Icon_wtf Shortwave also works .

Congratulations again then, Fred. Yes, when properly aligned, many of these old 5 tube sets are surprisingly good both in their sensitivity and sensitivity, as well as their sound. Now you can have some real fun with it, seeing what foreign stations you can pick up. Happy listening !