Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 12s-265 console

Guys ....Would want to know. Tell me about this radio, good player? I know it is the easiest to find of the 12 tube consoles, but is it a good player? And who has one in their collection? I am able to grab one and would like to know if it would be a good one to add to the collection. It has been ofered to be once before. Thanks for the info.  

All these Z consoles with lattice dials are very, very good players. Not that there aren't better ones, but these acoustically are excellent.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The zenith 12s265 is a very good radio, the 262 is the more common set. The cabinet style is very nice looking with the defferent wood veneers . I have one and am glad to have purchased it, I think you would be happy with it if the price is wright. 12s265 on far right in picture.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-22-2015, 09:58 PM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  ......... I think you would be happy with it if the price is wright.

+1

It is the exact same chassis that is in all of the 12 tube 1938 models.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I don't know for sure but I think there all the same chassis on the 12 toobers and when i said the 262 is the more common , that's a 10 toober not a 12, my mistake.

(12-22-2015, 10:17 PM)Frederick W. Taylor Wrote:  ......when i said the 262 is the more common , that's a 10 toober not a 12, my mistake.

Actually the 9-S-262 is a 9 tube set, but even it is a pretty good performer.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Like all brand Z AC operated models from the late 1930s and early 1940s it would be best to test out the power transformer first before buying, so bring your Ohmmeter and Ohm out the transformer windings at the rectifier tube socket. Brand Z had a nasty habit of using the same size power transformer in a 12 tube set that Philco would have used in a 7 or 8 tuber, it does not mean that they will all burn up but it does mean that there isn't much room for failure either if the set was powered up and run with leaky caps in it not to mention a dead short.
Regards
Arran

Yes, in the late '30s Z sets did have a small-ish power xfrmr. And they do get pretty warm if the set is played for a long time.