Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rare Truetone Tombstone twin speaker

I have had this console for a long time. It has gotten a bit dusty.
BTW the chassis is 14 1/2 wide which is also the width of the table radio I pictured above. Fred's radio must be at least an inch wider.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Hello Russ, I think you hit it right on the money. Is there a model # for that radio? Or is it the same one as the smaller picture of first radio you had shown? Whats your thoughts on this tombstone of mine, is it as rare or not rare or what?

I think the Truetone branded model like yours is abit less common than the Airline version or the Lafayette. Same radios just cabinets are different

http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0960239

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/lafayette_l18.html

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/lafayette_l19.html

But now that I think about it? Ive never seen the Lafayette...but the other two yes

One of these days Im going to do a thread with all the twin speaker table radios before 1950. Russ did a Stewart Warner( I think or Masek) that was beautiful.
Ive been saving all the twin speaker set links and am just about done..I think Ive found about a dozen or so

Fred, the console is a WG-24 from 1932(?)

I don't think there are a lot of them around, console or table top. The table top I posted is a 62-103. They seem to be more plentiful. There are few that look good. Note that RM did not even have a good picture of the Lafayette.

Russ;
  I noticed that the twin speakers in your console have the exact same numbers stamped on the backs of the rear brackets as the tombstone that Fred has. On one the number is 01525, and the other has the number 01526, the latter has a terminal block and cover mounted to it, so I would assume that these are W.G factory part numbers. Also these numbers are obviously related to the twin speaker models since Fred's tombstone has speakers of the same construction also with 01525 and 01526 stamped on them, again the one with the 01526 has a terminal block and cover mounted to it, but the part number used on the speaker in your tombstone has no terminal block and has a different number altogether C-1963. Without comparing circuit diagrams I would guess that the field coils of the twin speaker models are connected in series whereas the voice coils are connected in parallel, so you probably couldn't swap in a pair of speakers from some single speaker models without changing the circuitry, again this is only a guess since this is what was done on a twin speaker Electrohome set I am working on.
Regards
Arran

(01-06-2016, 02:22 AM)Arran Wrote:  Russ;
  I noticed that the twin speakers in your console have the exact same numbers stamped on the backs of the rear brackets as the tombstone that Fred has. On one the number is 01525, and the other has the number 01526, the latter has a terminal block and cover mounted to it, so I would assume that these are W.G factory part numbers. Also these numbers are obviously related to the twin speaker models since Fred's tombstone has speakers of the same construction also with 01525 and 01526 stamped on them, again the one with the 01526 has a terminal block and cover mounted to it, but the part number used on the speaker in your tombstone has no terminal block and has a different number altogether C-1963. Without comparing circuit diagrams I would guess that the field coils of the twin speaker models are connected in series whereas the voice coils are connected in parallel, so you probably couldn't swap in a pair of speakers from some single speaker models without changing the circuitry, again this is only a guess since this is what was done on a twin speaker Electrohome set I am working on.
Regards
Arran

I believe that is correct. The models are only similar, probably built by the same manufacture, WG. And the cabinet design is only similar as well, but used to demonstrate the possible original finish and tint. This is in regard to the 2 table top radios.

On the other hand the console and Fred's radio probably have the same chassis and speakers.

Thanks you guys, the laffette L-19 and WG-24  are the same in the schematics  . The ossalator isn't working and will be repaired soon olong with what ever else we find. I got some new cloth that may look better, what do you guys thinkof this philco 90 cloth from radio daze? Icon_think  . I like it better and it complements the escutcheon better Icon_thumbup Icon_eek  the other stuff looks to like a dirty gold to me Icon_thumbdown

Attached Files Image(s)

I admit Im terrible when choosing grill cloth.  Maybe take a look at this one Kenny did awhile ago.  I think he said it came from Bretts.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-L4AAOSw7F...-l1600.jpg

Fred,
I'm liking the less bold print of the radio's speaker cloth on the left, so the cloth that you're saying is for the Philco 90 might be my choice for the Truetone, if it was my radio...
Steve

(01-11-2016, 10:34 PM)SteveG Wrote:  Fred,
I'm liking the less bold print of the radio's speaker cloth on the left, so the cloth that you're saying is for the Philco 90 might be my choice for the Truetone, if it was my radio...
Steve

I think your right Steve , me too on the 90 cloth. I will change it out next week end and hopefully Dick will have fixed the chassis, we think the oscillator isn't working.

Pleased to say the cabinet turned out Bad to the bone like my others , I did switch the cloth and I think this cloth looks much nicer than what was in there before. I busted one of the speaker cones right at the voice coil and is now needing to be reconed, the radio is playing but is needing some more work to get it playing 100% . So for now it will sit until speaker is reconed then will finish with chassis. Sure does look beautiful , I have 3 radios at the shop waiting for completion and what sucks about the airline is the transformer is shot and will have to order a new one from antique electric supply, so that one is on hold also till I get the trans replaced .

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally got the twin speakers back for havening them reconed, the radio sounds a whole lot better and after I get it aligned and gone thru more, it  should sound superb. Other than that I am very pleased with this beautiful radio.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally  finished the rare Truetone. Its sounds real nice and picks up plenty of stations. Its as big as the famous Philco 90 cathedral. I will take very good care of  this radio and consider it as one of my favorite tombstones in my collection. It sure was worth the time and money I spent on this radio and had a lot of pleasure restoring this set myself, just look at it, isn't it just beautiful Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Congratulations ! Beautiful job. I can see why you like it so much. Hope you have many years of enjoyment listening.

Very nice Fred. Enjoy!

Crist