Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 5-50

Crosley 5-50 I picked up in a shop this weekend. Very clean, tubes are display only, but I think I have enough good ones.

Attached Files Image(s)

Outside. Not cleaned up yet

Attached Files Image(s)

Icon_thumbup Icon_clap Sweet find ! I look forward to hearing more about it as you work on it.

Nice looking, early Crosley! It appears the tuner is intact to boot! Some earlier Crosleys can be real, crumbling potmetal fests in the tuner section.

No matter where you go, there you are.

With regard to the tubes being for "Display Only" I would suggest desoldering the pins and removing the bases just to make sure that they are in fact duds, lacquer thinner dissolves the cement they used, you can glue them back on with permatex glass and windshield adhesive. The solder they used on 01A pins was not the most reliable and you can often have a tube read as weak or as open because the solder failed.
Regards
Arran

Got home early today and decided to try the new Crosley out. Hooked up my Atwater Kent horn. Hooked up a battery pack as per the diagrams I found. Got 5 of my 8 decent 01A's and fired it up. It works! Volume is weak, but I have done absolutely nothing to it yet. Cool. 

Good deal.

Rick Ethridge

That is wonderful news. In case you need it, here is what I believe to be the schematic for the set, or a very similar Crosley model.
Crosley schematic
For greater output from the final audio stage a 71A was often used as the final AF amp instead of an 01A. Good luck with your work on this beautiful radio.

Mike, thanks for the tip. If I do not get better volume after checking components and cleaning all contacts, I may try that. This is my second 1920's battery set and so far I am 100% on my luck with these. I also have a 1925 Liberty sealed five that works excellent, with plenty of volume with 5-01A's.
I have a Radiola 25 too. I hope after I get the tubes together for it, My luck will hold. The 1920's sets are just cool to me.