Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Clock radio question

Hi Guys,

I just got one of my wife's Christmas presents finished. Except for one thing. It is an Emerson clock radio model 31L06. It's nothing special but just what she wanted. The problem is with the radium on the clock hands. They don't glow in the dark like they should. Does anyone know of a way to get them glowing again? Like something available that I can paint on to get them to glow?

Thanks,

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

The clock hands don't glow as well because of radiation damage to the zinc sulfide coating that illuminates. Radium hasn't been used on clock hands since the '70's. Radium has a half-life of 1600 years so the radium on the hands is still dangerous to ingest or inhale. The radioactive paint could flake off and become airborne. My recommendation is to leave it alone! Otherwise, remediation could be expensive.

There is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUMINOUS-PAINT...1017264161

There is also glow paint sold in craft stores for much cheaper. Just paint on a little and they will glow.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk is on the ball, I used to work for a paint company, we made an acrylic glow in the dark paint, safe-non toxic. had a greenish tint. Was a popular Halloween seller. Paint some over what is on now. If you had some crummy clock hands you could do a test to see if you like.

Paul

Tubetalk1

You have to go to the toxic waste site from the Family But series, get some, paint the hands with it.....you can also get some superpowers as a side effect.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Kirk,
How many hours does the paint glow?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

It is charged by light so I would assume it would glow for at least 6 hours in the dark but this newer stuff will probably last all night. The craft paint may not last that long.

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6