Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transformer Buzz--FIXED

I just finished a recap on my  Montgomery Ward/Airline 94-BR1534A. It now works great on AM and FM. My only issue is a slight buzz from the power transformer. It doesn't effect the sound from the radio, but at very low volume I can still hear it. The transformer gets warm but not hot.  Most of the radios I work on are AC/DC so I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/979/M0011979.htm

Thanks,

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

(01-22-2016, 02:39 AM)Eric Adams Wrote:  I just finished a recap on my  Montgomery Ward/Airline 94-BR1534A. It now works great on AM and FM. My only issue is a slight buzz from the power transformer. It doesn't effect the sound from the radio, but at very low volume I can still hear it. The transformer gets warm but not hot.  Most of the radios I work on are AC/DC so I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/979/M0011979.htm

Thanks,

Eric;
  I have an Italian radio that does the same thing, only much more severely, in it's case it really needs to be dipped in varnish as the core is loose, in other cases it could be loose laminations, a loose bell, or something as simple as a loose bolt.
Regards
Arran

So, is it something that I should go after or leave it alone?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

I wish all I had was a slight buzz....on the radio Icon_smile  I worked on one of these for a friend and not one but ALL of the IF cans suffered from silver mica disease. Then I kept getting interference just from putting the aluminum cans back over the coils. It was a beast and I could never get the FM band to receive many stations. Now this has nothing to do with your question, other than saying if you have yours playing good, I applaud you! Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I know what you mean, Greg. After I got mine done, the SMD started on AM only. I rebuilt one of the IF cans. This morning it is back! (not as bad) Still on AM only. Now I'm going to rebuild the other IF can. FM still sounds great.
BTW I tightened down the power Transformer and the buzz has quieted down Icon_clap

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

Rtaher than the rebuilds has anyone ever tried NOS IF units? I know a fellow who had quite a few as he bot out a Radio?TV repair shop that closed. He put one in an Air King set for me and it works very well, I think most of his stock on these was post WW2 types, probably pretty generic.

Sometimes a little hum with good sensitivity and reception is not too big an issue. Enjoy your handiwork Eric.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hi Paul,

I actually enjoy rebuilding IFs and I'm getting good at it. You're right about the buzz. It is very slight and the radio sounds great.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

If you like re builds for IF trans I will be your friend, can I send you radios! Ross did a very informative class on this for our club last fall.

Paul

Tubetalk1

My 70 has the buzz. I tried anything, tightening and such...no luck. But it plays just fine.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I found an easy fix! I had a junk chassis with a good transformer-swapped it and no noise. I wish all repairs were this easy!

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

Especially with humans. I read, a Russian software engineer got his head transplanted to some other guy's body.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Quote:Especially with humans. I read, a Russian software engineer got his head transplanted to some other guy's body.

well that probably fixed both guys...