Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BIG SCOTT CONSOLE CABINET RESTORE

Big job was offered to me from a freind in our Dallas radio club. This beuiful scott radio has seen better days but now is in for a face lift Icon_eek The top of cabinet has severe water damage and the substrate veneer is messed up also, part of the substrate will be sectioned and repaired and all new veneer on top. The entire cabinet will be stripped and refinished to customers specs . Should look like new and will be done to factory appearance. I have done two others of this model type but was done in high gloss piano finish this one will not be gloss but a satin finish Icon_crazy . So here are some pictures of this radio and some of the work I am doing, will post progression on this cabinet till work is complete and many of you guys may benefit from this.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more pics

Attached Files Image(s)

That will look great when you're done with it Fred!

Crist

I love the Scott Tasman cabinet - I think it is one of Scott's best looking sets. I probably should have held on to the AW 23 and Tasman that I had. Oh well, maybe after retirement, I'll pursue another....

Anyway, Fred, I am sure you will do your usual fine work with this one!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Worked on the Scott today as well as a forum members RCA table top radio and a Philco 70 repo control panel From Steve Davis. The Scott is repaired and all in grain filler. Some pictures showing the application of grain filler using burlap as an applicator . The 70 panel was sanded smooth and grain filled, that Philco 70 will be featured in an upcoming cabinet restore here on Ron's site.

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pictures of Scott and a reproduction front panel for a 70 cathedral from Steve Davis reproductions. An RCA table radio from a forum member is in grain filler waiting to be refinished also.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice Fred. I always like to see your work. I have not used the Mohawk grain filler.

I have used the kind that you spread on with flat spreader and wait until it is almost dry, then use the burlap.
is Mohawk similar in application?
Dan in Calgary.

Living in Calgary Alberta

Hello Dan, I quess Mohawk is about the same in regards to application . I wipe it off with fresh burlap before it dries hard like wax a car. I let it haze over then wipe it smooth, then later sand it off with 240 after it has dried overnight, clean and smooth out the crevices as show in pictures, that also before it gets hard.

It looks terrible!
I will surely take it off your hands Icon_lol
You will have to show me how you did the veneer. Veneer on large areas scares me.... Icon_sad

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Here ya go Kirk Icon_eek The cabinet is basically finished now and will assemble tomorrow . Also finished a few other items along with the Scott. The top came out great and the toning on cabinet sure looks sweet, looks new again.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful work Fred.

Finally done, the owner should like it

Attached Files Image(s)

You are truly a craftsmen!

Crist

Stunning! Thank you for all of the photos.

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Amazing job, Fred, probably looks actually better than new.What model guts went in it, if you don't mind my asking, so I can check the schematic? I remember Jean Shepherd, on WOR, talking about how his "old man" had a Scott and would listen to stations from all over the world. I believe some of them even had a BFO to receive CW and sideband.