Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I picked up a Queen Elizabeth 11-11

I drove the 360 miles [round trip] for this Rogers Queen Elizabeth. model 11-11 [6R1131]
 I now have the radio recapped and it sounds very good. the cabinet is original and I hope to keep it that way
by just doing a good cleaning with go jo and a little touch up.
 This one is a keeper; at least for me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Nice Dan. Looks like the cabinet should clean up nicely and I like the way the speaker grill extends up to top of cabinet.

Magnifique!

Paul

Tubetalk1

I like that style!  Very, very nice!  Please keep us updated as you get it back together.

Craig R

That's a awesome radio Dan, love the design on cabinet and the book matched veneeres. I bet it will sound as good as it looks. Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_crazy

Looks very imposing.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Dan;
  Are you sure that it's a Rogers branded set or a Canadian Majestic? From what i can tell all of the higher end Rogers brand sets got the rolling pin dials such as the 10-10 and 10-12. Anyhow the groggy performance of that 10-12 you have, the one that still has the clock, might be attributed to drifted resistors, I found a whole bunch of off spec resistors whilst rebuilding my 10-60, not to mention that crappy rotted rubber/gutta percha covered wire. It may be worth checking the ones in the Queen Elizabeth for drifted values as well, often recapping is not enough.
Regards
Arran

P.S I love how they reused the same sheet metal chassis for different models, note the three caps they put over the holes along the top right hand side of the chassis. They did that in my Deforest Crosley Brahms, on the 10 tube version of that chassis they add an extra tube, on the 11 tube they add two extra tubes and an extra IF can. It was sort of a scam though, the extra tube in the 10 tube chassis was an 84M, a Rogers copy of a 6H6G with a spray shield, and the two diodes perform the same second detector-AVC functions that the diodes in the 6R7M do in the 9 tube Brahms chassis.

Arran  it is a Rogers Majestic 6R1131 and they tell me that it is the same as a model 11-11.
  Yes the rubber wiring is there but I chose to leave it alone since it was not crumbling, although I did have to replace all the small wires going to the dial lights on the top.
   I think that the resistors are within spec because the radio does play very good. At least good enough for my liking.
 There is one thing about this radio that I have never seen and it is called a short wave loupe. {see photo]
On my radio, everything is there  and working but I can hardly see anything on the indicator unless the room is totally dark.   MAYBE IT WAS ANOTHER SELLING FEATURE THAT REALLY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING.
 I did try moving the bulb closer or farther away but it did not make any difference.
  The Queen Mary  also has the same setup.
  As far as the cabinet is concerned I have had a close look at it and I think I will go over it with gojo and use Trade Secret on it  and that should be all it needs. It is only original ONCE. The Rogers grill cloth is in good condition and I am glad because it is like hens teeth  to get any. I had some extra knobs which are the proper ones so I am good there.
The variable IF sure does make a difference in the tone.
  Thanks for the input and comments  Dan

Attached Files Image(s)

Dan;
  That "Short Wave Loop" as they called it, looks basically like a gimmicky Majestic brand version of a vernier tuning display. The Rogers brand sets had a wheel with numbers on it that would spin around as it followed the pointer like the 10-10 and the 10-12 had. I figure that they did things like this just to fool the public and the dealers into thinking they were getting something different as opposed to a Deforest Crosley or a Rogers. The "Short Wave Loop" display on the Majestic probably needs either to be taken apart and cleaned or needs a brighter bulb, when I first saw that I assumed that it was some sort of shadow meter until I saw the words "Tuning Light" marked on the dial itself. I will see if I can find any service information on this feature out of the Canadian Majestic manuals I have, it will probably be listed under 6M1131 if I have it.
  That Queen Elizabeth has the sort of chassis that I would consider performing a capacitor restuff on, it doesn't look like anyone had replaced anything. Which is more then I can say for my 10-12 where someone decided to re-engineer the audio circuitry for very questionable reasons. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the audio interstage failed, but that doesn't explain why they disabled the tuning lights and messed with the tone control circuitry, probably someone who was ignorant and rather then figuring out how it worked decided to do their own thing.
Regards
Arran

Arran,    I agree with you , that it was another sort of gimmick ,but I still would like to get it working properly.
  Can you suggest a bulb to use in that ''Short wave Loop' 'system?  I have a 47 in there now. it is a screw base.    There is nothing to take apart, and the only cleaning is to wipe off the plastic attached to the tuning wheel. There are no moving parts, other than the wheel.
   I have already recapped the radio and I didn't restuff the caps . I was going to restuff the three in the cardboard box but decided against it.
  My signal generator [Echo 324] was out a bit so when I did the alignment it didn't come out real good.. I now have it calibrated, so the alignment will be done today.
  Since you have a Rogers 10-12 you are probably keeping an eye out for Rogers parts and so forth.. What I need  is a power supply and a clock for one of mine. I know they don't come up very often, but Keep me in mind if ANY parts come available.
    I know shipping would be a lot but they don't make them any more.
                 The Rogers 4821 also had the same clock and there is another Rogers console with the same power supply. I did one for a friend of mine but I can't remember the model number.
     As you know I have two 10-12s and I have the same problem with one of them, in that someone had tried to reengineer a bunch of things, so every once in a while, when I am in the mood I stand them up beside each other and go through the wiring, and change the wire in the bad one to match the good one. I will post a photo of the recapped version later today

Thanks for the input   Dan

Well the rogers 11-11 is all recapped and aligned properly. what a good sound.. I added a phono jack with a switch and the MP3 sounds very good through it ..Just like the old juke boxes. It is a keeper for sure.
 Here are some more photos..

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great Dan, that's a darn nice radio will look fantastic with your other Rodger consoles.

I thought  I would show a couple of photos of the underside of the chassis after I recapped it. I am
  waiting for warmer weather to get at the cabinet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Icon_clap Beautiful job ! I know what you mean about the cabinet. I am waiting to finish my 37-61 until it warms up enough to varnish the cabinet also. I keep my house at 60F in the winter to save fuel costs, so it is really too cold to do it in the winter, not to mention the fumes, so it will wait until the weather warms. How did the alignment go ? How is she playing on the bench ?

I aligned the radio and it was not that good . Then I got my signal generator set up properly.
  after that , I did the alignment again and it turned out very good.. There is no hum and all stations are right on the dial.
   I know it is going to sound good in the cabinet. Thanks for the reply's
  Dan