Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

J-1824 Philco Phono help needed

We have a J-1824 Philco with a radio and phono, tuner/radio powers up and works no problem... But there doesn't seem to be power to phono. No idea where to look first? Could we have a blown tube? Wires seem to be connected, don't see anything obvious wrong.

Any and all help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

That would be a 1961 Philco and if you are trying to troubleshoot it you might want to get a schematic. Here's one source: http://www.antiqueradioschematics.org/philco.htm

Hopefully some of the other folks on here will have some thoughts for you.

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,
Do you mean to say that there is no power the phono motor/turntable doesn't spin?? Or it spins but no sound coming from the spkrs when you attempt to play a record?

Terry

Thank you... I fixed my power problem, it was a loose connection. Once I got the power to come on for the turntable (the radio works fine) I see the turn table isn't turning because the drive wheel isn't making solid contact with the turntable underneath. Is there an easy fix for that? Rubber seems intact but very dry and hard.

Thank you for the help!!

The rubber does dry out and become hard. You will need to find a replacement but unfortunately I don't have any experience with your set. Modern O-rings come in all sizes and shapes so maybe you will be able to find one that would replace the old rubber? A picture of your part might help folks make suggestions.

I managed to get everything to line up and when all th mechanics engage, the turntable does turn. Unfortunately I think I need to do a lot more research or find a good repair shop before it will be functional. Thank you everyone for replying and helping me out. At least I'm going in the right direction!! Icon_smile

Yes, provided that the motor and gears are undamaged, and the rest of the assemblies can be taken apart and cleaned and lubricated (phonolube helps,) there are some sources that will refurbish rubber idler wheels that are so dried out or flattened that they no longer function properly. Of course blunt force trauma to castings or whatever or excessive corrosion might be a real problem. I will ask moderator to consider moving this post to Vintage Hi-Fi Stereo forum where there may be more help available. Best of Luck with this one!