Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Beautiful Zenith 5S127 from SARS swap meet

I got this very nice Zenith from the SARS swap meet this weekend for $100 plus my Philcos 84B and 41-225. As soon as I heard it, I was blown away by the incredible sound quality of this radio. This radio sounds better, yes, BETTER than my Philco 41-255, and than my 16B. Anyway, I'm having a minor problem with the tuner. Not only is the old belt slipping, (ordering one soon), but when you try to tune it, you get a lot of popping and snapping. Sometimes it's good and loud, and it will spontaneously go quiet. A quick turn of the tuning knob usually fixes it. Any ideas of what could be causing that?

Attached Files Image(s)

Slave to an RCA Victor CTC-25

Sounds like a dirty tuning condenser or maybe fins rubbing?
murf

That's what I thought too, but I didn't see any fins rubbing. I didn't look all that hard though.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'd say it is most likely just dirt or dust particles in the tuning condenser. This is the most common cause. When you have the chassis out try cleaning between each plate with a thin pipe cleaner with the condensers open. this should pick up any dirt and dust. Be very careful not to bend the plates.

I don't have any sort of brush or pipe cleaner, but I did try to blow it out really good. If anything, it made it worse. I took a video of it to help. I really want this radio to be as good as it can be. It is my first Zenith tabletop set. Here is the video.

I would say  the same as the rest of the guys .  It sounds like there is dirt  or something  in the tuning condenser.
    I have had cases where it looks like there is nothing in there , but after a through cleaning it was fine. You might have to get some pipe cleaners and carefully clean especially on the bottom , where the dirt could gather..

Living in Calgary Alberta

Okay. I'll try that at the radio club this weekend.

Pipe cleansers are good for lots of applications, very handy to have around. Cabinet cleaning in tight spots too.
Good luck Dave, it is a very nice set.

Paul

Tubetalk1

(02-23-2016, 10:12 AM)TheUniversalDave1 Wrote:  Okay. I'll try that at the radio club this weekend.

Also, take a look at the wiring under the tuner from condensor to bandswitch.
The zeniths have problems with rubber coated wires shedding their insulation.
Use a wood stick to probe around underneath with radio playing.
You might discover a loose or shorting wire.
murf

Thank you, murf. I hadn't considered that.

I solved the problem! The previous tech was kind of a slob - he installed a spring on the idler pulley for the belt, but did not consider the fact that it was millimeters away from touching a lead on the volume pot! I removed the spring (I'm getting a new belt soon anyway) and all the popping has vanished! And boy does this ZENITH (not "Brand Z") sound great!

Congratulations!

A 5S127 was the first old radio I ever restored.  A very good friend of the family gave it to me when I was a teenager, and although it was a few years before I restored it, it is still in my collection.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Very cool. I was quite surprised at how good this thing sounds for a five tube. One radio I'm looking for is a very similar model, the 6S229. I like the looks of it.

The 6S229 has a photo finish on the front and sides so you have to be careful when buying one.  I've touched up imperfections on them with stains that turned out OK, but finding one in pristine condition is hard, and if it is very bad I'd shy away from it.  Maybe that guy making new photo finish decals for Philco's will eventually make one for the 6S229:

http://www.vintageradiolabels.com/re-fau...llery.html

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I have always liked the sound of the Zenith radios from the era. They seemed to me like they had a lot better fidelity or something, maybe a little better bass, from a smaller radio. I think they used a little bigger speaker or something. Some of my first radios were Zenith, a tabletop 1950's model and a floor model I purchase when I was around 7 or 8 years old. They sounded much better than most other radios I had heard at that time. I still have both of them and hope to restore them once I get my radio room finished.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44