Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 28x5 help

Can anyone tell me if the speaker in this radio has been changed?  I see red paint and it looks like there's a nut missing from one of the mounting studs.  Any help is appreciated!
Steve
[Image: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500...5_rear.jpg]

That is a fine radio Steve. I have a 28X5 and I love the dial as well the sound of that set, tone control is nice feature, almost a console chassis in that baby.

The 28X5 came from the factory with a 9 inch Ellipticon Speaker. It has an odd shape and is an ellipse though fatter on one end. It has the same red paint though. With my bifocals the speaker in your set seems more oval, maybe a change in production, or a swap by service tech with a similar RCA speaker? Look carefully and see if there is an outline against the grill of what the original may have been.

You will enjoy it.

Paul 

Tubetalk1

Paul,
Thanks for the help. I haven't bought the radio yet, but want to. Hoping the speaker is original.
Steve

Looks more like mine, I had to refresh my memory. I shot some photos today. It looks good however never found a decal set for it so I work from memory.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...5911715392

I had to lose the photo finish on the two columns that adorn the front.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul,
Looks nice. I like that this set is big and brawny. I'll do a GoJo and polish cleanup treatment on the cabinet, ala Kirk, touch up the photo finish on the columns and enjoy looking at it. Thanks again for your help!
Steve

(03-18-2016, 03:32 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  Looks more like mine, I had to refresh my memory. I shot some photos today. It looks good however never found a decal set for it so I work from memory.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...5911715392

I had to lose the photo finish on the two columns that adorn the front.

Paul

That is one sweet radio!  Steve, from the photo's they look to be the same.  Go get it!  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Joe,
It's bought and paid for. Now to wait until it arrives.....

Thanks to all who gave helpful advice!!
Steve

Well, I got the radio. The seller didn't want to listen to me about any packing hints and now the radio is damaged. I posted an ad in the wanted section for a nice original one. Made me sick to see this happen, but I tried my best to suggest measures to get it here without any damage. Guy was made of Teflon and deflected any attempt to do so. Here's hoping i'll find another good original one.........

Sorry to hear about that. Another damaged radio because of incompetent packing.

(03-26-2016, 05:29 PM)SteveG Wrote:  Well, I got the radio.  The seller didn't want to listen to me about any packing hints and now the radio is damaged.  I posted an ad in the wanted section for a nice original one.   Made me sick to see this happen, but I tried my best to suggest measures to get it here without any damage.  Guy was made of Teflon and deflected any attempt to do so.  Here's hoping i'll find another good original one.........

Time to file a claim then, your suggestions for sound packing practices may not sink in but a financial penalty will. Make sure you take pictures of the box and packing materials as well as the damaged set.
Regards
Arran

Arran,
Did that Friday. Just waiting for him to accept the return and eBay will email me a label to return it.
Steve