Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 10S464 and 7S633

I got two Zenith sets at an estate sale today for $20 each. I kind of wish I'd left the 7S633, because not only is it really beat up, but Zenith really cheaped out by 1942. I'd at least like to get my money back as I have no interest in repairing it. The 10S464 however, is in much better condition. I'm taking it to the radio club tomorrow in hopes of getting it to at least make more than a 60Hz hum. It's missing the station preset assembly. Could this keep it from playing? When I was moving the radio out of the sale, it was extremely crowded, dark, and loud. The preset assembly fell out of the radio and just then, somebody asked me if I needed help. I instantly forgot about the assembly until I got home.

Slave to an RCA Victor CTC-25

Not too sure, was is just a set of butons that came off, maybe you can find a junker and replace?

Paul

Tubetalk1

It was the whole entire assembly with coils and stuff. There are three wires that plug in - they are just sitting there not plugged into anything.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your zenith will play ok without the pre set control box installed. I have played one of my zeniths, 12s471 without preset control box hooked up.

Good news and bad news. I went back to the sale early this morning and got the preset selector. Thankfully, the guy running the sale saved it and set it aside. Bad news - we think that there is insufficient voltage on the plate(s) of the 6V6('s). They are running lukewarm with a filament, but that's all. I replaced the electrolytics, and that got rid of the 60 hz hum, but now there is just a small hum, but no audio. I didn't get a chance to check voltages this morning.

Take it to the doctor at the club!

Paul

Tubetalk1

You'll need to check voltages to see what is going on.  Unfortunately that era Zenith has been known for power transformers going out.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"