Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Keep it or send it on it's way?

I'm a bit on the fence about this piece. It's an Emerson TV/stereo combination with an transformerless stereo section and all printed circuit boards. When I first got it, the CRT checked ok and all the boards looked intact inside, but I never got anything more than static out of the TV speaker and no response from the stereo side. Unfortunately, that's the same time my tube checker died.
Right now it is in dry storage, so is safe, but should I keep it and try to make it work again or part with it? I have already saved it from going to the trash twice. Once when I first got it, then my late friend had it for a bit and I saved it again after he died as it was headed for the burn pile.
So, what's the opinion? My biggest issue is space right now as if I DO get it going, it can't be allowed to just sit in storage. Here's a picture of it to remind us all of what it looks like. Oh, I also have spare magnavox changer for it. (Yes, uses the same changer as a Magnavox!)

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce

Only you could answer this. It is midcentury, 60s from the looks of it. If you like it or collect these , then keep it, if not then pass it on, but only you know if you want it, our opinions are just that, our opinions.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well Jayce, you saved it twice, so you must have see some potential in it.  It's like Mike said, only you can decide if you want to keep it.  I will say you don't see near as many Emerson console T.V.'s in the wild as you do other brands.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"