Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does anyone know about Grunow radios

Hello everyone, Yesterday I found a Grunow radio. Its model is 1151 console. It looks all there,except it does not look like the speaker in the set is original to the radio. The cabinet is ok but missing a lot of little pieces. Has anyone seen this set before? Was it a common radio to find? And how do Grunow radios play? Thanks!  Icon_e_smile    

Hi John,
I took a look at the diagram for and it looks to be a good set. Containing a RF amp, separate mixer and osc tubes, one IF stage, A beat frequency osc, high gain 1st audio stage, parallel 76 driver tubes, and p/p 45's in the output. I'm a little surprised that it's using 45 tubes by 1935 they where getting long in the tooth. Also they require there own 2.5v filament winding all the others at 6.3v. If it was a Philco it would have p/p triode connected 42's. No need for the 2.5v winding. THe spkr is a little different than most in that the field coil is tapped and it's connected to the negative leg of the power supply so the resistance of the coil determines the bias for the 45's. Without the original spkr field can be replaced with a few high wattage resistor. Pray the power transformer is good for a rewind will$$. Finding one would be difficult.

Terry

Well, it's an 11 tube set so it should be a pretty decent performer.  I don't recall seeing one, but I don't look for a lot of consoles either, although I do think it is a nice looking radio.

Below are a couple of links that might help you out:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...008334.pdf

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_ho_1151.html

An original speaker might be tough to find, but you never know what will show up on eBay.  Good luck.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thank you guys.  I will be on the look out for a speaker. The set is in the garage waiting for me to look at it. I hope its not a complicated set to recap. You do not see many Grunow radios out there! Thanks again!

Grunows of that era suffer from the same bad coils that Philcos do.  I have a model 1162 that is in pieces and have worked on a couple of model 750s.  Both models use the same coil and band switch sub assembly and they all had coils that needed to be re-wound.  The 750 is one of my favorite sets and the 1162 should be even better.

Sean
WØKPX

(05-22-2016, 08:31 AM)Sean Wrote:  Grunows of that era suffer from the same bad coils that Philcos do.  I have a model 1162 that is in pieces and have worked on a couple of model 750s.  Both models use the same coil and band switch sub assembly and they all had coils that needed to be re-wound.  The 750 is one of my favorite sets and the 1162 should be even better.

Well not the same coils as Philcos, but they do seem to suffer from open coils much like Philcos do. Whether they fail for the same reason I do not know, the Philco coils seem to fail because of the type of plastic they chose to use as an insulator between the primary and secondary windings. Depending on whom you talk to it's either because this plastic expands and snaps the wire mechanically, or because it leaches something corrosive that eats through the wire.
Regards
Arran