Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690 Back Cover

Hello!..am new member and happy to be here! Does anyone reproduce the back cover for this radio?..or could someone provide me guidance on how to do it myself?

Welcome to the Phorum Jim. I could not find any repro back sides for the 38-690. Here is an old thread that talks about them. Don't know if any were made.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=6006

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

hi jim and welcome
their is no one currently making repro backs Icon_sad
 you can get a piece of masonite and make a back

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Yes Jim, someone started to make one but apparently stopped. I have a friend that made one for his, a lot of hole drilling and it came out nice. Of course none of the graphics on it. That would be a new level of problems to make. A good picture of one and some cutting skills and your on your way.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I sure could use one for my 38-690, I wonder if we could get that outfit that makes the repo backs for most everything else to consider doing a run of 38-690 backs. I will email them and see if it is something they might consider and if everyone one on here that would like one would chime in I could give them a number to start with.

Gregb

Indeed it was Eddie Brimer and he did have someone set up the pattern for cutting out the back and seems he also had someone to make a silk screen for the graphics as I remember. I guess he didn't wish to continue production due to cost and shall we say minimal interest for the price per unit. He certainly incurred some major costs to set up the program for cutting and the silk screening.
Jerry

As I recall, Eddie set things up only to have someone from the West Coast (do not remember who) chime in that he was tooling up to make backs. Eddie backed off...and the other guy made a few backs for himself and some friends, and that was the end of it.

Edit: It was a fellow calling himself "shutterdialradio". His repro backs looked very nice.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...7&t=223594

Edit #2: Upon reading all of the posts slowly instead of speed-reading as I do all too often, "shutterdialradio" made it very clear that he was only making a very limited run of a few backs in his posts and never promised to go into production. I wanted to be sure and mention this. I'm not trying to bad-mouth anyone, I certainly have no ax to grind in this topic. I like and respect Eddie, I don't know shutterdialradio but he seems to be one of the good guys also.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

A fellow NEARC member who hails from Arkansas Mr. David Spivey has used a company called Retro Tronics for backs. They do not print on them but do cut them to match originals when they have a pattern. They do custom work as well. They appear to still be in biz. I have not used them but have a Zenith set with one of their backs and it looks good and fits well.

Could they do one that large? Could you get the logo and wording on it yourself?

http://retro-tronics.com/

Paul 

Tubetalk1

I have emailed them Paul and have not heard back yet.

Gregb

Indeed Ron you remember correctly, I forgot or dissremembered someone else was coming on with one. Perhaps Eddie would offer again as he has the artwork and program for cutting. No doubt expensive for the work he has already put into making them. We just need enough people who need one and are willing to pay the price. Eddie is indeed a good guy and talented. I doubt he wishes to make a lot of money off of each one but it would be nice for him to recover his original costs for development and the costs to make them. Certainly not cheap for the manufacture but then again, these are top of the line Philcos.
Best, Jerry

I have emailed eddie
he has not contacted back yet 
 has not been on arf since last year

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Eddie's on Facebook, and he may not be participating on any online forums anymore. I don't know since I am no longer on Facebook.

I had a part of an old back with the artwork. Back when all of this was happening, Eddie asked me if I had the artwork. I scanned it and sent the scan to him and he cleaned it up, used newer fonts to replace the hard to read type, etc.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

well I think I messaged him Icon_think
I don`t really use fb
 hmm only friend I have on it is that kirk guy Icon_crazy

sam

mafiamen2

(07-10-2016, 01:09 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Eddie's on Facebook, and he may not be participating on any online forums anymore. I don't know since I am no longer on Facebook.

I had a part of an old back with the artwork. Back when all of this was happening, Eddie asked me if I had the artwork. I scanned it and sent the scan to him and he cleaned it up, used newer fonts to replace the hard to read type, etc.

Ron,
Do you still have those scans? I sure could use them for recreating the logo for a replacement back for my 38-1XX.
Any help appreciated! Icon_biggrin

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning