Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A trimmer adjustment tool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-PHILCO-RAD...7675.l2557

I recently found this on eBay and bought it.

I have been looking for something like that for a while. The insulating sockets I found cost so much (in hundreds ) it is not funny. The one I made by shaping a softened by heating body of a ball pen after a suitable size nut, is not that good, works on those trimmers that are freely rotated, not on those that need some effort.

This guy's idea is pretty ingenious and well executed. And for $13 and free shipping I think it cant be beat.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here's how I made a similar one a few years ago and posted it on the Phorum....

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...8#pid52048

Bob

And I was thinking of doing the same. But then I needed to 1) find and buy the nylon screws, 2) get a dowell, 3) what is drilling? Does it hurt? Icon_lol......
So when someone did all that for me for 13 bucks....I could not resist.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes, I agree! I'd probably buy it now too, but he wasn"t selling them when I made mine. His are prettier than mine also..... Icon_thumbup

No, he wasn't. It's a recent thing. A few months.

Thanks Mike!

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

price went up...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-039-s-PHILC...2518.l4276

This is why I decided to buy it then Icon_lol - I figured it would happen sooner or later.
I think he is testing it, if it sells still, he will keep it, otherwise it will go back.

I got one coming. Yup, price went up. Still not bad. Takes work to make then eBay fees etc. Wish I'd known sooner tho.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Just found out Tom is discontinuing making these. Looks like he has one left as of this writing. Maybe if some of us ask, he will make some more.

Tim

I just ordered one. Hope to have it this week, though it might be a while before I actually put it to use.

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

For $14.95 it had better be one like one of the original ones made out of fiber, the ones linked to look kind of Mickey mouse in my opinion. Before I found one of the original style I used a 1/4'' nut driver wrapped in electrical tape, since it's only adjusting a nut on a trimmer cap. The only reason the tool has to be insulated is because the nuts on the IF trimmers often have B+ on them, inductance isn't really an issue.
Regards
Arran

Arran

Inductance is not an issue, you are right, the capacitance however is, at least sometimes. Depends on the socket. I also used my socket wrapped with insulating tape, made it work but it was no fun overall.
And, yes, B+ is an issue when adjusting the left side of an IF filter.

This one is not made of fiber but is as good, pretty sturdy and the fact it is all insulating material makes it electrically equal to fiber.

Mine showed up yesterday and it looks good, not just thrown together. Even the ends of the handle are beveled. I could make one also, but that takes time and some trial and error. I don't mind paying a little for something that has already had that done, and I can just grab and use when needed. Mike is right about the fact this if not just for those trimmers with B+. Anyone here that has ever done an alignment with a metal nutdriver knows how much fun it is to try adjusting a padder and constantly having to guess where it is set, then remove the driver just to find it changes each time. Sure, you can do it this way - but why fight it when you don't need to?

PS: I mentioned this phorum to Tom and he seemed to indicate if there is enough interest that he would be willing to tool up and make another run of these.

Tim

(09-14-2016, 12:32 PM)PhilcoPhan1936 Wrote:  I just ordered one. Hope to have it this week, though it might be a while before I actually put it to use.

Jeff, There are only two reasons to buy tools immediately; either you need it or you might need it sometime.   Icon_lol

Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"