Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

marconi 157

and both pulling tubes and my signal tracer put me in that area for the problem but is it still possible to have the battery hooked up wrong or a cap somewhere else because if I was sure the other connection were correct then I would be at a stand still unless it has a exposed wire somewhere and would that do it

any ideas on what I could try next thanks

Short of sending it to someone who would agree to look at it, I am short of ideas.
Try changing tubes.
Moving wires.
Introducing shields.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

the problem I have is I only know of two people in nl that repair radios and they are retired and only take the odd job so thanks I will try some of those things but my problem is it did not do this before I recapped the radio

Recheck all caps. Especially the electrolytics. There are three.
Motorboating often IS the result of capacitors' screwup.
Especially decoupling ones. Think back to how it was. See if there are shorts.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There are only three electrolytics and two was in a can and they were marked white for 10 mfd red for 20 mfd and black for negative and they other 25 mfd positive goes to pin 8 of tube 6f6 and the other to ground.But can you slice the two grounds from both 10 and 20 mfd and then go to ground

rechecked the caps and all seem to be fine

I don't know what to tell you.
According to you, the phenomenon started after you recapped the radio.
Retrace the steps, if you took any photos- look at those, and (this is where reading the sch is needed) start comparing whatever it is you did (soldering, wiring, recapping, recarbing) to the sch.

the only I did other than recap was added a couple of new pieces of wire to the ends of a couple of resistors

I got to seriously looking under the chassis of this thing... someone who knows NOTHING about electronics has worked on it. There are resistors that have been put in parallel that should be in series (voltage divider), missing resistors, a large cap to ground from the grid of the output tube... lots of fun carp. This is going to be a lot of work.

The caps...CapXon....never heard of these.
Seriously. You need to get someone with experience to look at it.

(12-08-2016, 07:28 PM)BrendaAnnD Wrote:  I got to seriously looking under the chassis of this thing... someone who knows NOTHING about electronics has worked on it. There are resistors that have been put in parallel that should be in series (voltage divider), missing resistors, a large cap to ground from the grid of the output tube... lots of fun carp. This is going to be a lot of work.

not sure what is wrong with the radio but I was told the radio worked before it was stored for 15 years

(12-08-2016, 07:48 PM)morzh Wrote:  The caps...CapXon....never heard of these.
Seriously. You need to get someone with experience to look at it.

these caps came from just radios and there is no one in newfoundland to get to look at it I tried

Gee dude....I dunno if it is worth it for you and how urgent this resto is (who are you gonna show it off to, polar beare?) Icon_lol - but if you want to pay the shipping to and from NJ plus parts (only if required) I could, (considering I have my own plate full plus I owe our own Kirk looking at a couple of his chassis) at a reasonable schedule look at it for you.
Any open coils etc....I am not crazy about those. But I could run the comparative plus take care of some especially hideous rework places.

I will use your box to ship it back so packing has to be reliable.
Consider that the shipping costs if packed properly could be more than the radio itself.

Mike.

thanks so much for the offer but shipping would be the killer . it would be better to buy a working chassis and have it shipped