Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 6S229 Tombstone

That cabinet has very good photo finish.  Those black dial Zeniths are pretty desirable and the three knobs are worth about $60 (if they are the wooden Z knobs).  The chassis is a bit rough, but if I had to make an offer it'd be between $75 - $125.

To clean the dial start I'd start with plain water and a soft cotton or microfiber cloth and then a mild dish washing mix if needed, from there you can try other stuff if needed.  As with any dial, start in an inconspicuous spot to make sure it will be safe.

Good luck, those are pretty neat radios.  My first radio was a similar 5-S-127 that I was given as a teenager and still have it in my collection. 

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Sometimes it will evaporate and go away on it own after a few days.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok, Parts came in.. The replacement belt for the tuning was installed and working perfect.. Now on the the Capacitor Replacement..

Need to still clean the dial..

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...0nphbv.jpg]

The spots didn't evaporate..

Skip...

(12-29-2016, 07:47 PM)vecher Wrote:  Ok, Parts came in.. The replacement belt for the tuning was installed and working perfect..  Now on the the Capacitor Replacement..

Need to still clean the dial..

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...0nphbv.jpg]

The spots didn't evaporate..

Skip...

Back to post 16.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It looks like when you hit it with splatter from a WD-40 can...
It will take more than water to get off... USe some Gojo very lightly on a tissue. I have never seen it take off dial color or numbers.. Except for philco's, Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Ok, All Just finished up the Cap and Resistor replacement. Brought up slowly and at 115 Volts Draw was .5 Amps.. Its alive!!! Received stations on all bands with only a 2 foot antenna.

Now on to cosmetics since I now know it will work great..

Then on to alignment..

Stay Tuned Same Bat time same Bat channel..

Skip...

Icon_clap Icon_clap

Wonderful!

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Ok, Noticed when I started alignment that at low end of the bands when moving the tuning I would hear all kinds of noises. scratching sounds.. When I get to about 600 on AM band noise and scratching goes away. I decided to remove the Tuning Capacitor/. I measured the Cap and one side was OK other was shorted until I got a little way up then all was fine..

See Cap...

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...9buk7w.jpg]

Question is ... How do you clean this? I thought I would try cleaning in case that's all it is .. Something is shorting.. I looked under a Magnifier and saw nothing that looked like it was touching..

Thanks
Skip...

I have dunked the entire tuning cap in Metal Rescue for a few hours, a derusting formulation, that cleaned of the rust on my model 50. I have read some have put them in the dishwasher and others in a sonic bath.

I have just sprayed it with a good degreaser and used a toothbrush.
 Then sprayed down with water to rinse off the degreaser.  I used a hair dryer to dry it. let it sit for a day and then lubricate the bearings and gears.
It has always worked for me ..
 Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

I guess short of sliding some insulating film you can't really.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I love my ultra sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight for cleaning tuning capacitors. I fill the tank with 3 cups of water and one cup of Simple Green. Does a great job cleaning...and the tuning cap comes out smelling good too! Icon_lol

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ul...63256.html

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Except it won't cure a bent vane.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

True....but it does get the pesky rust dots and other debris out from between fins that cause scratching when tuning.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org