Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reneamed: Winter Electronic restorations

So I have been so busy with life that I have not touched a radio chassis in months...

This week I had free time and a few radios I wanted to display in the house.... I finished 3 radios this week!!!

The first is a real neat but cheapo GE 682 clock radio that splits into a separate clock and a portable radio run on batteries! I redid the 4 tube chassis just fine but I screwed up the Selenium rectifier replacements  Icon_redface
After 2 hours on the phone with Terry, It came to life and it is actually really sensitive ... It had 2 800uF ecaps in it!!
Plus 3 others.. 5 Ecaps in one little radio... I got burned twice but no shocks  Icon_thumbdown  Icon_thumbup

The second radio I got off eBay recently for a steal... I love hidden compartment items and this Sentinel 238-V is a stack of books on the outside! IT was sold untested because it uses a cheater cord and he did not have it. I recapped it, changed 2 resistors, and it came to life... The cabinet is in real nice condition so I only wiped off the crud with GoJo...
 No burns or shocks  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

The last one I just finished tonight.. This was from our trip to Skips friends house. I bought 2 Emerson BF-207's in extremely gross but undamaged cabinets... I took the first cabinet and scrubbed it to death to get all the sticky out of the grooves and then waxed it. I recapped the chassis all by myself and it works pretty nice. I got a little stuck with the Ecap cans pos and neg but figured it out by actually understanding that they were chassis ground... I also has some micamold paper caps and found a website to read them.. There is so much interference in my shop and house that I have to use an extension cord and test it in the yard...  Icon_crazy
No shocks or burns  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

More pics

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

way to go kirk Icon_clap Icon_clap
like that clock/radio Icon_thumbup

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Great job. Though these are easy - not crowded at all compared to that one where Terry fixed the speaker wires. That was a freakin nitemare.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

VERY, Very, Nice workmanship

I sure do like the Emerson, I have a thing for bakelite sets with a complete bakelite back.

Gregb

I'll second that the Emersons in bakelite are very nice.
                                   Henry

I like Emerson with boobs. Kirk, do you have any? (I mean, the Emersons)

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks guys,

You're a boob Mikie....
No Mae West's sorry...

I also like the Emerson's with the front and back. I had the clockette but got rid of it last year... That one had a curtain burner on it. Weird that these don't have RLC's...
Joe had a 3rd one but the back was missing on it... I am hoping to give one to my friend but I want to see how he likes it first..
I should probably see if the other one is ok before I give away a restored one.... It has the cord cut and there are things rattling around inside... I'll check it out tonight....

Me

As of 1/01/2021

(12-18-2016, 12:34 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Thanks guys,

You're a boob Mikie....
No Mae West's sorry...

I also like the Emerson's with the front and back. I had the clockette but got rid of it last year... That one had a curtain burner on it. Weird that these don't have RLC's...
 Joe had a 3rd one but the back was missing on it... I am hoping to give one to my friend but I want to see how he likes it first..
I should probably see if the other one is ok before I give away a restored one.... It has the cord cut and there are things rattling around inside... I'll check it out tonight....

Me

< Weird that these don't have RLC's...
These have a bigger chassis/more toobs and newer 150ma heaters. The Clockette is a 4 toob TRF set w/3ooma heaters.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hmmmm, 
Thanks Terry.....

I finished the other Emerson tonight (found a hairline crack on the back side top Icon_sad ) I even got my Halli TW-25 done.. I needed a little guidance for the Selenium rectifier... 

Next up is my RCA 5Q5.... Looks really simple but I am too tired to do a 3rd radio tonight...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Good job Kirk!  My favorite is the book radio... great find!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

It was!
$49.99 shipped off Ebay...
I really want the upright stack too....
One is RCA and another is GE...

As of 1/01/2021

Your buddy akachuck has a pretty cool Sentinel set on sale but they're a little rough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SENTINEL...SwOVpXUyZE

[Image: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/T28AAOSwOV...-l1600.jpg]

I was thinking, if I specialized in book radios I could house my entire collection on one or two book cases Icon_crazy

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yeah, I dont like the damage... I am surprised no one got it though...
It is probably because the radio is so plain and ugly...

Me

As of 1/01/2021