Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 801 conversion to AC question

New here. I recently learned Philco in 1942 modified the model 801 car radio into a home model inserted in a end table with 115 vAC renamed the 801-A. I am curious how this AC conversion was manifested.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I moved your post down into the regular thread section.

Here's the schematic for the AC version from Nostalgiaair.  http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013909.pdf

Hi and welcome,
Well the in a nut shell version is that they remover the vibrator and power transformer. PT got replaced w/one w/a 120 primary (old one had a 6v @ 100cy). Looks like most everything is the same between the two chassis. Believe the car chassis is a C-1908 and the chairside is a A-801

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I believe that they converted these pretty much as Terry suggested, even leaving the original rectifier and filter cap can. I've never owned one, though I would like to at some point, but from the photos I have seen they didn't have enough room on the chassis of the MoPar 801 to bolt an AC power transformer so they screwed a vertically mounted transformer inside the cabinet and extended the leads to connect to the car radio chassis. I believe that in the consoles that used a Ford car radio chassis they did have enough space to mount an AC power transformer on the chassis, or at least on the outside of it. 
Regards
Arran

(12-23-2016, 05:45 PM)RAH1915 Wrote:  New here. I recently learned Philco in 1942 modified the model 801 car radio into a home model inserted in a end table with 115 vAC renamed the 801-A. I am curious how this AC conversion was manifested.
Thank you Guys, I was not certain where the question would fit as it was originally a car radio but ended up as a piece of furniture or a home radio. I am familiar with Nostalgia web site but apparently missed that one. Thanks again and have a wonderful Holiday and New Year.

Welcome. Here is a thread from ARF that might help you.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...6&t=178029