Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kirk's Garod 5A2...or is it 5AP1-Y

A chassis from Kirk that according to the owner is weak and the volume could not be regulated.

It was an exercise in info search.
First it was identified to me as 5A2 model. The sch showed different tube lineup though the chassis seemed the same.
Instead of three octals I have three miniature ones.
So then it was adjusted to 5A2-Y.
Now the sch seemed to fit. Although two tubes in the chassis (50B6 and 12AT6) seemed to be swapped.
The sole difference was two circular female connectors not shown in the sch.
I started tracing the signal and found the top of the volume pot is disconnected. Then I traced it to the 3-pin circular connector.  I shorted the pins in it and the radio started receiving nice and loud.

I thought it looked like a turntable radio.

Then I thought I look a bit further. I browsed through 5Axx sch and found 5AP1-Y that exactly matches the chassis.

But according to Kirk the cabinet is from 5A2.
So someone stuck the record player chassis into the non record playing case.

So...I will short the connector out.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ahhh! 

I just looked up the picture... IT IS a Garod 5AP1Y! I do have the phono cabinet..
I was thinking if a totally different radio....
Dont short it out since I have the male plugs...
UGH! sorry Mike

Me

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well.....so you gave me a working!!! chassis to p..z around with Icon_smile while chasing wild geese and to find out why you could not achieve loud reception.
BTW you will have to check if the switches work.

OK, I will give it a crude alignment session.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Radio is working very well.
One down. Crapload to go Icon_smile

Icon_shh shhh mike
your goning to hurt kirks feelings

they are his  golden treasures  Icon_lol  

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(12-28-2016, 01:12 PM)sam Wrote:  Icon_shh shhh mike
your goning to hurt kirks feelings

Kirk has feelings.....and I thought I knew the guy.....