Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

D-1190 Trutone made for Western Auto Supply

This is an aftermarket car radio I found online, condition of the unit was unknown as to be expected and I have gone through and replaced all the paper caps, had to find all good replacement tubes as the unit came with none! Also replaced all the bad broken down rubber wiring. Now according to the information I do have for the voltages for the tubes when this is powered up I get close to what they're supposed to be. I checked the oscillator and it appears to be working but I don't have anything tuning in. I also checked the audio portion and that seems to be working as well. I can tune towards the end of the dial and faintly hear a station and that's with the volume wide open and it doesn't appear to be in the right spot.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...023618.pdf

Would break out the signal generator and align the IF stage. Looks from the schematic that this set is inductively tuned. This mean instead of a tuning capacitor it move three slugs in or out of the rf coils as you tune the dial. Check to see that  the slugs are moving properly and that they are not broken. If any are stuck or broken the set won't tune properly and have poor sensitivity. Then align the rf sections.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah the IF stage was definitely the problem, I was able to peak out the trimmers on the IF on a weaker station but my tuning scale is way off as well. The tuner moves back and forth really well. Can you recommend a decent simple signal generator, just basic knobs and dails?

(01-01-2017, 02:22 PM)flatheadjr Wrote:  Yeah the IF stage was definitely the problem, I was able to peak out the trimmers on the IF on a weaker station but my tuning scale is way off as well. The tuner moves back and forth really well. Can you recommend a decent simple signal generator, just basic knobs and dails?

Here's a basic unit that should get the job done and cheep so far.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accurate-Insturm...SwImRYWwg4

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah that one went for a lot more than I expected I think I may have found a couple more that seem fairly basic, I just don't know if they have any connections to go with them.