Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AK 60 back in action

A while back I wrote about a nice Atwater-Kent 60 highboy I had purchased that worked well for a little while, and then the sound cut out. I pulled it out today to check things over one more time, still not getting an reading through two of the pins on the plug, but knowing the field coil was working, I decided to check the voice coil at the binding posts. Well, one of the voice coil wires was almost totally broken loose, hanging by one thin strand. Apparently whatever had cuased the small hole on the cone had also hit that wire and the vibrations from playing must have finally broken contact totally. Re-soldered it and now the radio plays again. Which is good because AK used way too much rubber wire and rubber shields under that chassis... Icon_think  As long as I don't have to disturb it, everyone will be fine... Icon_crazy

No matter where you go, there you are.

The kind of wire AK used is probably shedding the insulation every time the music plays Icon_lol. Or even now.
No special disturbance needed.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.