Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Emerson Pig snout restoration

So,
  I bought this since it looked so sad at the antique shop.
It was $80.00 which was more than I should have paid but it is rare and can be fixed....
The radio cabinet finish and veneer are horrid, It is missing a back brace and the speaker cone is shot. I will have to make a back too...

I started by dismantling the radio as far as I felt comfortable for initial look over and cleaning. The radio has only a few caps but all are replacements. I was hoping they were original Emersons and I would re-stuff the radio but nope...
I recapped most of the radio but ran out of the Ecaps I need. The multi cap is much newer so I didn't worry when testing it.
 The radio came on and lit up but was silent. After some tinkering I fould a loose socket on the 12SA7. Once I did that, she came to life but the speaker was falling apart as I listened. About a year ago I bought some speaker cones and decided it was time to learn. 
 Mike knows what my last attempt to repair a speaker looked like, Icon_lol
I followed online directions and amazingly it worked really well with some tweeking... The radio now plays nice and strong! The cell and the light cause interference but you get the idea..

All I have to do now is replace the Ecaps when Sal's order arrives. Then I have to wait until spring to restore the cabinet... I really need a shop with heat and a place for veneering and spraying and finishing....

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Speaker repair
  remove old speaker cone, clean frame, shim the spider to prevent gluing it in place, apply glue to both surfaces.
Add cone and put the cardboard surround on. Clamp and let dry.. I used contact cement but the cone did not like that.. It started warping.. Tacky glue is better but mine had frozen Icon_rolleyes

Then test it and if it works you dance in your seat...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Here she is all restored (minus the filters)

http://vid821.photobucket.com/albums/zz1...titled.mp4

As of 1/01/2021

6 tube set, Emerson put that chassis in many sets, I have a set with that chassis or very close to it. They can sound pretty good.  

What AM station was playing Herb Alpert?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Kirk 
Nice    looks sounds great Icon_clap  Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

My favorite AM station! 1400 out of CT  Icon_thumbup
Thanks Sam.. I am glad I did not mess up..... And saved $65.00  Icon_e_surprised
Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

WSTC 780 watts of bliss! Wish I could get up here.

PAul

Tubetalk1

Don't let that moth eat ur new cone!!!!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It is a foam cone so no moth shall have at it...

Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

Very nice job Kirk!

Kirk
  Where did you find the 4'' speaker cones?
Regards
Arran

http://www.electronix.com/speaker-replac...13890.html

As of 1/01/2021