Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Nak ZX9 quit today.

I decided to clean pinch rollers and capstans, as one of the tapes got chewed up. Totally non invasive procedure. After that the sound goes tftom normal to muffled to none and back. Clearly mechanical but can't fathom for the life of me what I did. Cotton swab over rollers.....and that?
Ruined my plans.....just bought bunch of cassettes.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

When you mentioned you were recording onto cassettes and the recorder you were using, I had to look that one up. Never heard of it but I have been walking past cassette recorders for years in the thrift stores
Its a highly regarded player on the AK forum. Might look over there for what might have happened.

Mike

ZX-9 arguably is the best Nakamichi machine. Or one of the two best, including the CR-7.
After that I believe it is considered one of the two best brands for decks.

It is crude in the way of no reverse play but the quality is stunning, it gets out of cassettes what some pretty good reel players give you. Microprocessor adjusted azimuth, adjustable gain and bias.

It is an excellent machine. I was lucky to get it for under $700 fully workibg, now it is close to $2K for the same.

Nakamichi used it in their lab to make reference tapes.

CR7A is largely the same with reverse and more automation/less manual control.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(02-25-2017, 09:47 PM)morzh Wrote:  I decided to clean pinch rollers and capstans, as one of the tapes got chewed up. Totally non invasive procedure. After that the sound goes tftom normal to muffled to none and back. Clearly mechanical but can't fathom for the life of me what I did. Cotton swab over rollers.....and that?
Ruined my plans.....just bought bunch of cassettes.

You're right, that is pretty non-invasive, so my guess is it was just a coincidence that it happened after cleaning.   Well, unless a bit of the cotton swap wound up in the mechanism somehow throwing off the alignment.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

No, no bits there. I opened it up, all clean. It sound like tape wander up and down not following the path.
First I will try to rejuvenate the rollers.
I asked at Tapeheads, the opinion is Nak Rollers are so good they do not need replacement, just occasional rejuvenation.
The are bunch of things I don't know what they are even called or what to do about them.
Fine mechanics is not my specialty.

Wish me luck, it'll take a while.