Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

crosley model 148 cap question

Have a Crosley model 148 that I am re-capping.
Has a few of those double capacitors, which I have never run into before.
I started re-capping and everything was going well. Radio played after E-caps changed.
There is a double cap attached to tube pin 2 of the 57 tube and I think the other end is supposed to go to a pin on the 42 tube, ( broken off now).
There is markings of .03 mfd x .001(hard to read) x 400v.
The center strap is grounded to the chassis which I think should ground both the caps.
I can't decipher the schematic on this one. No tube pins shown, just symbols on the schematic.
Can anyone look at the schematic for this radio and tell me which cap goes to which tube pin number, as well as are they both grounded to chassis?
I was in a hurry to finish this up and got a little careless with ripping that last double one out.
There are a few more of these double caps which I ran one end of each cap to chassis ground and they worked great.
Someone said that sometimes they may wire them differently than the others that I did.
Kind a mess in that corner where this last one was mounted, which made it difficult to get out.
Radio is not playing after removing this last double cap and replacing with what I thought was the correct caps.
There is some audio, but no signals picked up.
Anyone have any experience with this model?
A wiring diagram would sure help.
murf

From what I see Murf they should both be .1uf caps with the common of the two connected to pin 3 of the 57 tube and pin 5 of the 58 tube. Then the other side of one goes to common and the other goes to the junction of resistor 38 1 meg and resistor 67 40K. That should do it.

Gregb

Hi Greg,
I think your looking at the wrong cap.
I know I did replace the double .1 cap earlier.
The one I am questioning is connected between the 57 tube pin 2 and the 42 tube pin 4 I believe?
I was able to make out the .030 mfd value on the cap, but the other value could be .0006 or .001. Not clear.
Thanks for helping Greg,
Murf

Hi Murf,
>The one I am questioning is connected between the 57 tube pin 2 and the 42 tube pin 4 
That would be the audio coupling capacitor and it's a .03. Value isn't very critical anything
from a .01-.05 is fine.

< but the other value could be .0006 or .001.
It's a .0006 or 600mmfd/pf. Again value is not
very critical 500-1000mmfd  or .0005 to .001
will be fine.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry,So if I understand correctly,
The .030 goes from pin 2 of 57 to pin 4 of 42.
Then the .001 goes from pin 4 of 42 to chassis ground?
Murf

Sorry Murf, not the brightest bulb in the box here! I was looking at the wrong schematic, DUH. So the common point goes to pin2 of the 57 tube and the other side of the .03uf goes to pin 4 on the 42 tube. The other side of the .0006uf goes to common, and like Terry said what ever you have in that range should be fine.

Gregb

Thanks Greg and Terry.
Hooked it up and it works great.
Such great people on here willing to help.
Have a great night guys,
Murf

> Hooked it up and it works great.
You were expecting not to work????
I has to you fixed it!!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks again for the help Terry and Greg.
First time I have ever run across the double caps.
If I may ask one more quick question concerning the large wire wound resistor that is dropping its coating all over the place.
It is the one connected between pins 3 and 6 on one of the 58 tubes.
If I put my ohm meter on it I got about 10 meg ohms. Had to scrape some green crud off the leads to get a reading.
I would like to replace it if I knew what value it is. I see the schematics rates the resistors in watts.
I don't want to call it done until I address this.
Should check out the rest of the resistors as well.
murf

That little symbol that looks like a "w" is their version of ohms not watts.

Gregb

The one I am questioning is attached to pins 3 and 6 of one of the 58 tubes.
murf

Both of the 58 tubes pin 3 are connected together. On the 58 mixer tube pin 3 is connected to a 25,000 ohm resistor which the other end is connected to the volume control.

Pin 6(fat pin to the right side) on the 58 is one of the heater pins, it has a 2.5v heater. All 3 of the 2.5v tubes (2-58's and the 57) heaters are connected in series so they can operate from the power transformer because it only has 6.3v heater winding. The 42 tube is connected directly across the heater winding as it has a 6.3v heater.

Crosley = Headache!!!!! They use some very odd circuits. Most of the time they draw the tube in the schematics upside down!
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...003276.pdf

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry,
Thiis wire wound has both ends connected to the same tube socket.
I am calling the pin numbers out looking at the bottom of the chassis as if I were looking at the bottom of the tube.
This is one of the old hollow tubular wire wound resistors.
Must be working or the radio wouldn't play.
This one is kind of strange for sure, but you should see the Westinghouse juke radio that is laying on my bench waiting for a re-cap. 
Have to pretty much disassemble the radio chassis to even get to the guts.
Has some really weird looking e-caps enclosed in cardboard boxes.
Can't wait to sear at that one.
murf

The link at NA was for a 146 will try and post beitman page. David

The N.A. shows both if you scroll down to the next page.Thanks