Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-60 Top Veneer Orientation

Getting ready to do the cabinet work on my 38-60B.  The veneer is completely missing on the top of this cabinet, and I have a total noob question.  What is the correct orientation for the top piece of veneer?  Should the grain go front to back, or left to right?  My guess is left to right, but not sure.

Thanks,
Jon

You guessed correctly. There are two 38-89 on epay (same cabinet)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry!

I have another question for all you cabinet experts.  The side walls of this 38-60 cabinet are warped inward near the back of the cabinet.  Here is a photo of one of the side walls with a straight edge lying on top.  The total deflection is about 1/4" or perhaps a little more. 

I realize this is an (almost) 80 year old cabinet and it doesn't need to be perfect, but I would prefer the sidewalls to be straight.  At the same time, I don't want to risk splitting the wood or damaging the veneer in the process of trying to straighten it out.  

Would you recommend trying to straighten these sides? 

And if so, how would you go about doing that?

And finally, if I was able to straighten the sides, what is the probability that the walls would just 'return' to their present state of warpage?

Thanks,

You will need 2 strong wood braces vertical cut.
Thin, maybe 1/8th x 1.5" 
You can hard clamp the back for a while to set it strait if you like but the wood is not really stressed there...
I would add the 2 braces from right under the arch, inside on the sides of the cabinet down to the base of the cabinet.
You will have to make sure you can remove the chassis before gluing in permanently...

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks Kirk.