Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Odd Radio, odd owners

I found this and for some odd reason bot it. It was not 1800 BIN!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...2916224153

It is a weird radio, tuning on the side, NO LABELS or #'s. Even in the battery compartment. Maybe a decal fell off. It has a circle label saying IC Circuit, on bottom say 'neighborhood Friendly" meets FCC requirements. No item number means I can't really find any info. Sears Corporate site says silvertone went away in 1972. The speaker is about 5x7 and is on the side opposite the control knobs, takes 6 D battery, sounds quite good. FM is really nice.

Is it missing a label, a prototype, an oddball?

Ever see one? Seller got it in Chicago.

Thanks for any info. Icon_smile

Paul

Tubetalk1

I'm going to guess that's from the last year or two of the Silvertone line. For many years, their logo was the distinctive script signature, as shown below.

[Image: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...4c14fd.jpg]

The one on yours is a very plain all-caps sans serif font that I haven't really seen. I also notice it doesn't say "Sears" on it anywhere. It looks Japanese to me, like a Sanyo or similar other Japanese radio that Sears would have "badge engineered".

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Thanks for the info, it is a plain Jane. It does sound pretty decent so that is the good news, would like to know if it has a name/# though.

Paul

Tubetalk1

All I can find is the ebay listing where you probably bought it, but of course they didn't know either.

Have you tried taking it apart to see if there's a stamp or mark on the circuit boards or inside the case itself? Sears were usually compulsive about labeling and part numbering everything they sold, so it's weird there's nothing to identify it. If nothing else, a mark on a circuit board or on an interior component might help determine who manufactured it for Sears.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

I will look when I am not listening, thanks. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hi Paul, A very attractive radio, great find. I have exhausted my resources and can't find this one. One thing I can tell you, Sears offered some VERY ugly radios after 1972. Forunately, yours is not one of them! Regards, Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"