Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Console Radio Identification Help!

Great job, guys! I've been lurking -

Lurking

but you figured it out!

Now, the 37-611 does not appear to have continued into the 1938 season as a 38-611. So, one of two things must have happened here:

1, someone stuck a 37-611 chassis into a cabinet intended for a 38-623K, 38-624K, 38-630K or 38-2630K; or

2, Philco did it to us again and issued a Phactory Phranken-Philco using up old stock of 37-611 chassis in whatever cabinets they could fit them in (in this case, a 38-623K/624K/630K/2630K).

I have looked at all of the pictures, and I did not see a tube layout sticker on the inside of the cabinet. Is there one? If it is still there and intact, it will give the original model number. That would be the true determining factor of just what this set is. But if the tube layout sticker is not present, then who knows? All we can then do is guess.

In any event, we know the chassis is a 37-611, so you may proceed with repairs knowing that bit of info.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for that info. I don't see a layout diagram anywhere on the unit unfortunately. My grandfather was an engineer and was known to tinker....it's possible this is a franken-philco he created himself. I'll ask some of my relatives if anyone knows anything about the unit.

Just ordered some walnut Harold's Restore-a-finish and some gojo to clean up the outside of the cabinet. Also got some replacement speaker cloth on order. I'll have the original speaker cloth up for sale after I get it out for anyone that is interested in it.

I did find a bluetooth module from https://thingylab.com/ that I may try out at a later date. Tube radio restoration will be a future project. I want to have both the bluetooth and the original tube radio working eventually but have them be completely separate systems.

I put some work in on the Philco this weekend.  I stripped the cabinet out to thoroughly clean everything using compressed air and some elbow grease.  I did discover a handwritten (in chaulk?) "HJ Service" tag under the radio chassis.  Unfortunately, it came right off as I was cleaning the unit, but I did manage to get a picture of it before.  Maybe it was serviced and had the 1937 chassis installed in the 1938 console at some point?

I cleaned the veneer with gojo and finshed it with Harold's as recommended.  I also installed replacement grill cloth on a fresh sheet of plywood I had lying around.  All done, I think it came out pretty nice!  I still haven't touched the radio chassis besides cleaning it.  I reinstalled the clean(er) chassis in the console, but left the speaker etc out.  Someday I'll get around to making the radio work, but for now I am pretty happy.  Much thanks to everyone who helped me out and shared some knowledge with me!

Attached Files
.pdf 1938 Philco Radio.pdf Size: 2.77 MB  Downloads: 137

Looks real purty!

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Cleaned up nice!

It looks great! Nice job.