Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 Arch Veneer Crack

I refinished a nice Philco 90 last year. There was a crack in the front veneer which (I thought) I had re-glued successfully. But the crack has reappeared. Other than completely removing and applying new veneer, anyone had success on fixing this type of problem? I know this veneer is called "oriental" or Australian walnut and is likely rare and pricey. And re-dong the veneer may be a bit above my current skill set.
Thanks,
Lou

[Image: http://louhaskell.com/data/philco90-arch.jpg]

Hello!,
The split was not glued and it is lifting...
You may be able to just scrape away the white-ish area (lifted lacquer)and get some wet glue in there..
You could do some other things but the crack will never be sealed right with those methods...

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I think it's actually called Paldao, I'm not sure if Australian Walnut is the same as orientalwood which is what Paldao is, I have some Australian walnut veneer and it looks more like ribbon mahogany (stripes) other then the greyish brown colour.. I don't believe it's that expensive either, Paldao is a huge, fast growing, tropical tree in New Guinea and the Philippines, so don't think the wood is particularly rare nor expensive. Have a look on fleabay for some.
Regards
Arran

Huh, my Philco 90 did the same thing after refinishing the cabinet years ago. I have decided to leave it alone for now.

Maybe there was something done at time of construction that contributed. Keep us posted. I would love to know what you decide on doing. Thanks, Scott