Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kirk's Sparton 65

I was about to give up. It was receving across dial after all. But yesterday scoping outthe distortion I thought was coming out of the detector, I realised whatever was there did not explain the output waveform from 43. I even changed the grid bias resistors that are supposed to be 300k and were 500k. I saw a sawtooth after the DC blocking cap from 75 to 43. So I noticed the two caps, the DC blocking and the shunt looked the same and the shunt was supposed to be 500pF and both caps were 4.7nF.
So I changed it, and....voila.... It plays really nice and really loud. The freaking shunt was killing everything.

The guy who recapped this radio made at least 3 screwups that made the radio not working properly.

About it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Stoopid NF capacitors!!!!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Plus the grid cap on the 75 had bad connection and had to be resoldered, sometimes it would go to garbled sound and react to tapping, after soldering it's ok. So in case it starts doing it again, change the 75 tube.

Ok. Done. Officially.

PS. Dude, stop buying these.... handicapped radios. They are totally botched and are actually challenging even for those of us who actually know the difference between the caps you charge and the caps you wear Icon_smile Buying a non-working unit someone else tried to fix and failed is buying the result of their ineptitude, which is problem upon problem upon proble. The grid dap was the only problem the guy did not cause himself. All three problems I fixed he introduced. The radio was working before he decded to recap.

Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Come on mike that's the fun of it getting it to work  Icon_thumbup

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

No, it's no fun. Fun is fxing an old radio, but fixing others mistakes, especially when they're many, ain't no fun.

Mike;
  I ran into that in a post war Philco I bought off of another collector at his garage sale. One of the mica caps must have been bad, so he replaced it, was originally a 100 mmf/pf cap and he put a .01 in it's place. He also hog tied a 50 year old axial lead 450 volt cap to the back of the speaker's rear bracket because he didn't have room for it under the chassis, thankfully he did not recap the rest of the set. The odd part was that he used to be a com tech in the air force, so he must have done these things, the set didn't work, so he gave up on it. So as you say, dealing with other people's problems, I didn't mind so much though since I got it pretty cheap.
Regards
Arran

Arran

Heck, yeah, if I get some very sought after radio for a song, unless it is totally hosed, it might be worth it.
Problem is, when the radio goes bad on its own, you just replace the bad parts.
When someone rearranged it in some creative way, you have to figure out wrong connections.
Well, it is working now, that's what mattress Icon_lol

I'm glad It was not me... Icon_lol

Good job, 
 Unfortunately I'm selling it.. I would have enjoyed it for the last 2 years but you had the chassis Icon_lol
Right now it is 1937 Philco's..

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I did not have it for two years. Maybe for a year.
Philco will have to wait.

I was kidding Michael Icon_rolleyes
I'm in no rush for the Philco 610.
I meant I have to concentrate on buying Philco's for my display...

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Please buy good Philcos Icon_lol
Preferably without RF mezzanines and sub-boards underneaths. And without rubber-coated wires. And not "dealt with before".