Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kirk's Sparton 65

ya mike you tell him.   grab another beer anyway.   Icon_twisted

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Can't right now, I'm at work and we have a dry policy here. But come the evening...... Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Changed a few resistors. Some factory that do not agree with the sch, I left them, but those 500K that show 800K I replaced. One of them was AVC.
One was the detector amp load, after which the gain went up, now much louder.
But: though the speech is fine, the music is distorted, though it is only on the local station that is very strong, and others do not play any music.

I tried a different speaker, and changed every single tube, no change.

Replaced the diode with the 8.2uF cap after I lost the 43 tube and I only had one left, so I decided, it is cleaner and the tubes are not stressed anymore.

Plenty of stations on the BC, just one on the SW, but then thd antenna is short and it's not the night yet.
If the music keeps doing that (and it seems all is good electrically) I'll just leave it be.

I'll align it one more time, see if there's any change, though it seems the trimmers that dud not do anything still don't. Strange as the 456Khz seems go through well. Bad trimmers? Could be.....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sounds like you actually had to do some work... Icon_lol
Another 30 hours and you will know what it's like to do a cabinet...
As long as it is safe to use and sounds clear I am happy...

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Safe to use.... None of these are safe to use. This one has an actual hot chassis.

This is one of the worst radios I've seen. It has internally mounted IF xfmrs instead of having them on top like everyone else does. These xfmrs are huge and block access to about 1/3 of the places I'd like to acess. Horrible. When are you going to start buying normal conventional radios like some normal people, for a change? Icon_twisted

He said normal people   Icon_lol

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I'm not normal? Icon_crazy
Hmmm, 
 Maybe I'll have you do my Radiola 33. You like tar blocks right? or is it rosin? Icon_twisted
ooh and the 37-650 console chassis that Terry gave me... or maybe the 37-675 and the 23X... or the 37-116. Icon_twisted

Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

Easy, boy! Or I'll have you do my consoles. Of which I have quite a few. Though none of them are in the condition you like to buy yours in. Icon_lol
And....isn't the 33 filled with rosin? We can melt that out and sell. That's lifetime supply for someone who likes to solder or to play violin.

What is a violine?  Icon_razz

Consoles would be 4 chassis each.  Icon_twisted
 I cant handle them anyway with my current conditions..
Enjoy your little vacation but don't forget that smoking Philco 610? 620?  Icon_lol
Get it the patch  Icon_mrgreen

Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

That will have to be after Kutztown. I'll look at it, but if it got lung cancer after that much smoking, I am no thaumaturgist.

Violine is a very deep violet color. Some violines make one feel that instead of blue.

Icon_lol
You so looked that up...

I am trying to get the cabinets done but the lacquer would not be cured enough to bring to Kutztown anyway...

As of 1/01/2021

Yes I did. Live and learne. (No go and look up "learne").

Mike;
  RCA Nipperettes, along with their G.E and Westinghouse clones are like that, two big IF cans under the chassis, attached to the inside of the rear apron to be exact. If you want to get at the bottoms of two or three tube sockets you have to remove them. I haven't run into that under the chassis IF problem on any of my Sparton sets yet, but then again Sparton of Canada did their own thing much like other Canadian branches of U.S companies. Are they mounted, cans and all, under the chassis, or just the coils and trimmers? Maybe the trimmers are open circuit in one of the IFs?
Regards
Arran

Arran, they are ca s, small ones.

I think it is a screwup in the procedure.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/866/M0018866.htm

The C1 and C2 said in the procedure to be IF caps do not affect IF.. Nor are they have the ref designators according to the schematic. Only C3, which is, same as C2, is a dual trimmer, acts as IF.
But. C2 pair does affect the reception, both of them. I was lazy to trace them and see what they are in reality, the radio just doesn't want me to do it, too many things to unsolder and pull to see wires. And when I, without realizing that C1 has the screw with the cap inside and the screwdriver slot outside and turned it enouh so it fell inside....I spent an hour and eventually had to unsolder top two wires to get it out and put the screw back in.

Hmm, very interesting, three stages of IF and two IF amps, it should be a pretty good performer once it's working right, selective as well. 
Regards
Arran