Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help with 41-250 barn find

Well I never turn down a challenge especially if it's a family heirloom radio. This one was found in my cousins wife's barn.  It's a 41-250 that was owned by her grandfather.  Many a generation of mice would also consider this a heirloom.  I've got the cabinet stripped and reglued and it came out nicely but I need some advice on the colors (were they all the same?) and info on where to buy the best decal and reproduction faceplate. I'm planning on soda blasting the chassis to remove the rust and mouse smell.  Here are some before pics.
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

You are a brave man, watch for any potential sickness. I have heard mouse remnants can be dangerous.

Good luck, it does look like a challenging set, they look sharp when done.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Yes they can. Alcohol wipe, and wear a respirator.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Repro escutcheons and knobs available if u need, try Renovated radios.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Repro escutcheons and knobs available if u need, try Renovated radios.
Thanks Paul, Are the Philco decals from Renovated radios the best ones?  I remember a discussion that said some suppliers had the correct  font and others don't but I don't remember who had the best ones.
Keith

Mice love sunflower seeds, apparently!

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

They can squeeze in anywhere... amazing! I have pulled more than one set of mouse bones out of a radio.

Keith somewhere here I think Ron had answered that one, Radio Daze has correct ones and I recall it was suggested to support their decals as they listened to us collectors.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Well, I managed to save all the veneer and got it all glued together, stripped and stained.  Here's what it looks like so far.
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Beautiful, Keith! (And you apparently didn't catch sin nombre hantavirus!)
Rob T

Thanks to Ron, I obtained the proper decal.  The Radio Daze part number is DCL-PH3.  I'll post pics soon.
Keith

Could you show us a picture of the top of the chassis. Blasting the chassis might be a bad idea in the long term.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Here's a pic of the rusty chassis and the cabinet with the decal applied.  If you think the decal is crooked or misplaced keep those thoughts to yourself.
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

I would strip the chassis as much as possible and try some navel jelly on the rusty areas. A lot of that is just stain, Some will be pitted.

The problem with blasting it is that once the plating is removed it will rust again and this time all over. So unless you paint the chassis the rust will return - worse. If I had a chassis that was not originally painted and determined that painting was the only option, I would look for another chassis.

Sometimes I apply a little silver paint with my finger on the rust (after cleaned) just like stain. Wipe off the excess.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/