Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AK model 42 antenna transformer

I took a break from Philcos and am working on an AK model 42.  I have been lucky so far that the coupling coils and interstage transformers are all OK, but I found that the antenna tapped coil was open at the start (bottom) connection. I took the coil apart and tried to connect to the remnants of the start wire but as soon as i touched it crumbled.  The coil must have gotten wet as most of the wire is oxidized. 

I think I can rewind it but it will be difficult since the wire appears to be 36AWG and the Pi width is very narrow. Does anyone know if there are replacements available or other coils that can be substituted. This coil also connects to the volume control and controls the signal level so it might be specific to these models.

Thanks,

Steve D

Hi Steve,
I happen to have one from a model 52 which is the same thing. Basically it's a tapped choke and isn't part of a tuned circuit. It does provide a ground return for the grid of the 1st rf stage. Pm me with your address and I'll get it in the mail to you. I see you live up by one of my old hang outs although I think it is no longer Kobers Junk Yard. Used to be lots and lots of old old cars there. Got a bunch of stuff for my old Falcon up there back in the 80's.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Radioroslyn,

Thanks for your generous offer.  I was trying to figure out how to rewind my old coil but if you have a spare one that you don't need that would same me a lot of time.  I'll send you my address and contact info today.

I am not familiar with Kobers but there is a Kozzi brothers yard near here with lots of old car parts.  I have a 1938 Buick that I have been restoring since 1978 and a 1965 Mustang that I have had since 1999.  Do you still have the Falcon or any other antique cars? Her is a link to my Buick and Mustang photos along with my radios:

http://galleries.mine.nu/steves/gallery/

Thanks again for your help.

Steve D

Very nice Buick!
Still have the Falcon but for now I'm not driving do to some heath issues. Hopefully this will change in the next year or so but for now I'm to use an electrical term grounded.
Have had the Falcon since the late 80's and it needed a lot of work to get it roadworthy. Have driven it about 20k over the last 20yrs. The little 144cid is pretty tired and would like to upgrade it to a 200 at some point. It's been sitting in the garage since 2/15 undriven and needs some work to get it going again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42774321@N...ateposted/

Kobers was off of Montana Rd but the story I heard was that they were being charged an annual fee by the EPA per car  for hazardous waste. That made the business unprofitable and they folded up their tent. Probably in the early 90's.

Nice chatting I'll get it in the post in the next day or so.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Your Falcon looks in very good shape.  Hope you are able to drive it again soon.  Do you plan on doing a full restoration or just doing the engine?  I suppose you know this but the 1964-1966 Mustangs were based on the Falcon platform and even have the same instrument cluster.

I moved out to Clinton from Long Island in 1992 so Kobers was probably gone before I had a chance to use them.  I see you are into early TV's as well as radios.  I wouldn't mind restoring a few TV's but they take up too much space.  I have three pre-war consoles and my wife won't let me get any more.  I also noticed you have done a number of home built projects, are you an engineer or technician?

Steve

So I received the antenna coil yesterday and installed it and then brought the AK42 up on my Variac.  It worked great and received all my local stations. I just need to mechanically align the tuning capacitors and mount it all back in the case.  Thanks again for sending the coil so quickly. I'll add some AK42 photos to my photo site when I am done.

I also have some old radio parts particularly from the early thirties to WW2 and a decent quantity of used tubes so if you ever need something let me know and perhaps I might have it.

Steve

>  Do you plan on doing a full restoration or just doing the engine?
I've done a lot of the little stuff on it but that was twenty years or so ago. Probably time to do some of it over again. At some point the engine swap would be high on the priority list to make it more roadworthy. Like radios it's more labor of love than a profitable venture.
> wife won't let me get any more.
No wife any more.
> are you an engineer or technician?
No just a hacker I mean hobbyist. Been my hobby since the mid '60s when I was a kid. No formal training just a lot of practical experience.

Glad to hear you got the AK going and tnx for the offer I'll keep you in mind.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry