Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-258 console restoration

Greetings!  I have a 41-258 floor-standing console that I'm just starting to restore.  Here's my plan so far:

Electronic restoration -- it's 95% original, so I have a big job ahead of me.

The wood cabinet is, to my eye, in great condition.  The finish has a little aging to it, but I'm more than happy with the way it is.

Grille cloth -- I'm attaching a picture of the few scraps that are left. It's metallic gold vertical weave with bulky white cotton horizontal lines.  I've looked around and haven't found this cloth.  Can anyone recommend a source or recommend an appropriate alternate grille cloth that would be appropriate for this model?

Dial cover plastic -- User jmpalm on ebay has them for $18.00. 

Knobs -- I'm not sure.  My knobs are not original.  I can't even find a clear picture of what the original knobs are supposed to look like.  Can anyone help there?

Dial plate -- The paint is crackled, but adhering strongly to the metal plate.  I like the aged look so I'm not planning to do anything to it.

Speaker -- The cone is cracked all over and the paper is brittle.  It really needs to be reconed.  If I can't recone it I'll just replace it with a modern full-range from Parts Express and save the original driver.

And that's where I'm at.  Any advice or comments would be appreciated!

- John

heres one in gallery  looks to have bullet knobs on it
http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1941a/#Model_41-258F

cabinet looks to be in very good condition Icon_thumbup

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I haven't been able to match the original grille cloth fabric, and I don't like it anyway.  So I went a different route. I found a decent sized remnant of a very handsome upholstery fabric at the fabric store and decided to go for it.  I couldn't be happier with the results:

It's nice to be make a little progress now and then.

It looks decent. (Meaning the cloth).

Now, Mark Palmquist makes dial lenses, if you are in search for one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Knobs look like they are from a 60's Silvertone set. Try Mike Koste or Julie McCall from the Resource section: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14950

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry