Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rare McMurdo silver masterpiece cabinet refinish

Another radio cabinet that I was chosen to refinish, this very rare McMurdo silver masterpiece radio is under going an extensive cabinet paint job. This had been special ordered in black which not many are around any more . The owner of Zenith Stratosphere I had refinished also is having do this radio. This was quite an under taking , the cabinet needed much work and doing it in a black piano finish it had to be done right. Many hours were spent preparing the cabinet for the black lacquer finish which will be wet sanded and machine polished after the clear lacquer has cured in a few weeks or so. I will post pictures of the polishing stage and the end result of a mirror finish that you only see on high end furniture and automobiles.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here are some steps of the primer filler applied and the block sanding done to ensure a flat surface. Also grain filler using a two part polyester plastic for grain filler which also is block sanded by hand using a black power guide  coat to insure finding any surface imperfections.

Attached Files Image(s)

Primed and painted with painted silver painted  stripes, the old stripes looked gold because of the age and smoke what have you. (Pitina) This lacquer must cure several weeks before polishing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Fred, your work is amazing Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Excellent work that needed fantastic patience and craftsmanship! My respect to you.

Simply beautiful.  You have been blessed with a great gift!   Didi the spider come with the cabinet?  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

WOW,,,amazing workmanship,,,,GGreat JOb----CHEERS

Finished the cabinet by wet sanding , started with 800, 1500 and with final 3000 grit,  then machine polish with automotive rubbing compound, then a micro finishing glaze. Then I will wax by hand using a good auto wax . Tured out fabulous , Owner will be very happy.

Attached Files Image(s)

unbelievable!!! Breathtaking and gorgeous!!!

That is FABULOUS! I'd almost bet it didn't come from the factory that perfect.

Excellent work, Mr. Taylor!

I find this simply amazing how many of these have the stupidity of the speakers robbed!! I stumbled across a pair of Jensons with the McMurdo lable on them robbed of course with rips, tears and various battle scars for the so called modest (huge sarcasm here with a look of disgust on my face) price of $15,900.00 OBO or in my worthless Canuckastan "beaver pelts" $20,999.00. My my my if they were left in the cabinet and the McMurdo wasn't defiled I could see the whole Masterpiece being worth that not being reduced to expensive junk.

PS
Sorry I forgot as my anger subsided
Fred a beautiful job on a masterpiece is a total understatement!! Hopefully the Jenson is still in there.
Don

PPS
By the terminology of reduced to expensive junk I meant the speakers that were robbed were reduced to expensive junk!! No matter how little or how much of the McMurdo is left is NEVER expensive junk.