Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-630....middle of the road set?

Well, I just got back from picking up the 37-116.  No real surprises..except when taking off the knobs to remove chassis, one of the shafts pulled out with the knob..the second one from the right, as you are looking at the radio...not sure what it does...and not sure it it will come completely out....I didn't try  And the knob on the tuner would not budge....I'm hoping it is something that I'm not aware of, but I worked for 40 minutes, with no luck...so I put the screw back in it, supported the chassis with extra blankets and hauled it home like that....it seemed to be an uneventful trip...but would like to know what I need to do to remove that knob....geesh, felt kinda foolish.   I would like to remove the chassis for storing....or at least getting it to my storage spot.  That thing is freaking heavy!

> one of the shafts pulled out with the knob..the second one from the right, as you are looking at the radio...not sure what it does...

Volume control. It has an extra long shaft which is not attached to the control, but instead has a slot on the end sort of like a slot blade screwdriver...only with a tiny protrusion in the middle. That, along with a spring clip which fits around the blade and which the protrusion goes through, goes into the matching groove in the volume control which has a very short shaft.

The long shaft is normally held in place by a special clip just on the inside of the chassis front, and sometimes another just on the outside of the chassis front. You will notice two grooves that sort of match up with the front of the chassis; one just inside, one just outside. That's where those clips go.

> And the knob on the tuner would not budge....

Most likely, corrosion has set in between the inner tuning shaft and the flat spring which holds the inner tuning knob in place. I'll let others offer their suggestions for removal; due to the concentric nature of those tuning knobs, removal may be quite difficult.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron....are the special clips for the volume control shaft very hard to replace (find)?  

And I'm glad I wasn't missing something on that tuner knob..anxious to hear what to try....my fist thought was trying to get a little wd40 or something in there.....

Dean L.

>are the special clips for the volume control shaft very hard to replace (find)? 
I'm pretty sure that chassis has a cover over the bottom. There is a good chance that the parts will be laying loose in the bottom.

>.my first thought was trying to get a little wd40 or something in there.....
It's a pretty close tolerance between the inner and outer knob but I don't think you can get to from the backside as the dial is in the way. I suppose if you were able to lay the cabinet on it's back (knobs facing up) you could get some lub between the two dial knobs. If you are curious about how they come off your 630 have the same knob set up. As Ron eluded to the knobs can be a little difficult to get off as you are remove two at once, pull twice as hard. If you have trouble getting a good grip some use a loop of twine around the outer knob (between the knob and cabinet) to pull on. You'll want to be careful not to get any thing on the dial material as it could remove the print from it. There are replacements available @ $30 or so.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

>I'm pretty sure that chassis has a cover over the bottom.....
There is a over on the bottom...so, maybe the clips are in there.  

At lunch, I carefully dribbled a bit of wd40 on the shaft, then after work I heated the knob up with a hairdryer....wrapped a piece of clothesline rope rope around it to pull on.....heated it some more and pulled some more....and finally, bang! it came free...ricocheted off of my leg and flew probably 12 feet and hit the wall!   It looks like the inner knob was glued to the shaft....

Dean L.

Done like a true radio repairman[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...n_clap.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry