Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 toner and grille cloth

Hi,
I'm restoring a Model 90, and using Mohawk toners. Most restorations seem to make the pillers and feet a darker color than the body, I'm using Perfect Brown and Dark Walnut. Can I spray the entire cabinet Perfect Brown and after drying put the Dark Walnut over it?  I know that the Walnut will probably melt the Brown some but will the Walnut lay on top of the Brown OK?

Also, until a couple of years ago you could get good replacement grille cloth even the original copper color, but now there seems to be nothing close. Anybody know of any source?

Thanks,
Alan

Your best bet would be to try the various toners on pieces of scrap and see how they look. that will let you get it to a tone that you like.

Alan

Yes, it is perfectly fine to spray your main body color overall, then spray just the areas needing to be darker with the darker toner, provided you carefully mask off as needed using newspaper and green Frog Tape.

Whatever you do, do not use blue painter's tape. I learned this the hard way a few years ago...it is chronicled here in the Phorum somewhere...

As for cloth, you have two choices: Whiskey Rayon from Kenny Richmond, or GRC02 from Radio Daze.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN