Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 cathedral survived a trip to Ukraine

And is working out of the box.

That radio was purchased 1-1/2 years ago in Kutztown from John "Hagstar" Hagman to be shipped to Peter in Ukraine. Eventually it got shipped.

It'll have to have some things replaced but receives on all bands nevertheless.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

An immense gratitude to Michael for helping him deliver this wonderful radio to Ukraine and John "Hagstar" Hagman for his beautifully preserved status and excellent work. Thanks, friends. I'm in debt to you and will definitely give thanks.
Here's how this Philco 16B works.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgM1TJVg65o]

BeauTiFul!!!

Good boy Mikie...
I dread shipping larger table radios..

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Pack it right and they shall receive Icon_lol

I shielded the back with a piece of cardboard so the peanuts or bubbles don't get inside, then shielded the front with a Styrofoam board I had on hand, then stabilized the spaces in the first box (slightly larger than the radio) with peanuts, then taped the first box, then put it in the second box that had about 2" on each side and about 1" on top (otherwise the next size up box would have 5" on each side and would cost $50 instead of $15 - I considered the spacing sufficient), having put 2" of peanuts on the bottom first, and then filled each side and top spaces with peanuts and bubbles I had on hand. This seems to work.
Again, it traveled by sea, so I do not know if air travel is inherently more dangerous or not. It does travel in trucks at least some as it has to be delivered to the port and from the port to the local office of the carrier.
I'd say if all had to be bought from UPS store (I bought the large box from them), it would be app. $30 to $35 in packing materials. Obviously if one is in the business of shipping stuff, buying from Uline in bulk should make it much cheaper.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Awesome , made in USA. You go radioSvit. Beam me up Scottie.

I did not understand anything ... Google translator does not want to speak Ukrainian in a clear way ... Icon_mrgreen Now I ask Michael to help him ... Icon_lol

He said, "здорово, сделано в США. Давай, RadioSvit. "
Beam me up, Scotty - модифицированная фраза из Стартрека , означает "с меня хватит, забери меня отсюда".

Thank you Michael. Michael:Google - 3:0. Icon_lol

Hello Radiosavit, my older brother is in Romania for a few months , his wife is from there. I'm sure the cold weather is starting to move in, how far are you to the border of Romania? Her name is Rebecca and she had told me a story of her father had stole a train and escaped from the German occupied land and make it, this was during WW2. WoW!  Icon_eek Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

Hello Frederic . I live in an area bordered by Romania - a little over 100 miles to the border. But I have never traveled there because there is no way to go there - there is no tube radio, they were not made there. . ... Icon_mrgreen And I like only those countries where you can buy an old lamp radio. Icon_lol  Another thing is Hungary and Austria - there are very interesting copies of antique radio engineering.To the Hungarian border I am much closer - only 50 miles.

is it costly to ship to the Ukraine I know I just ship a philco 60b via fedx and it was 70.00 to ship it in the U.S.A
benny

No it isn't. The radio I shipped, a 16 cathedral, was under $80. It is way larger than a 60B.
But, it is shipped by sea, meaning it takes around 2-3 weeks to get there. Which is fine for this purpose.

that's not bad but what I don't understand is why is shipping so high in the U.S fedx usps and ups are pushing the two day shipping and raising the cost I went to the post and fedx they don't really have ground. I don't care if it takes a week to get somewhere bnut they wont ship it that way
benny

Something isn't right there, all three should have an option other then two day shipping. The USPS has a website that allows you to look at their shipping rates, usually all you have to do is type in the destination and the weight, if that doesn't work then they have a page with service tables on it, they also have the option of buying postage online, but not with all services. Probably the best option for heavy objects is to ship by bus if you can, less transfers, or loading and unloading of packages. Here is a Fed Ex page stating that they have ground shipping, have you looked through it, sometimes the guys at the counter don't really know anything or are just trying to up sell a more expensive service.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/ground.html

Regards
Arran