Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Several radios

Are any of these worth anything?[Image: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kPcAAOSws...-l1600.jpg] I live fairly close and it would be easy to pick them up. 2 are philco's

With a cursory glance going from lt to right, not sure what it is, Philco 1929-30 model could be an 87 or 95, 1940-42 Philco, Philco 77,96, or 111, Crosley Bandbox or so, Atwater Kent battery set, last 2 not sure.

Nothing to kill for would stay away from the Crosley as a lot of them have pot metal warpage issues.  Early battery sets are  not very popular these days like the AK. The two older Philco's if they still have the pair of 45 tube in them and the newer Philco $20-40. The three unknown sets will be a challenge to pass along as they are rather large. Second from the right is more than likely a battery set too.
Just my 2c

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

What's the set sitting next to the 1929 Philco lowboy (the one with the fan grille)? The two sets, or cabinets, next to the A.K look interesting, one is an early console cabinet for a battery set obviously, the other could be for either a battery set or an early A.C set though someone else like Terry might know exactly what it is. As Terry said there really isn't anything there to get too excited about, at least without looking at them in person, the Philco lowboy cabinet models are pretty common, and could come with anything from a 6 to a 9 tube chassis in them, though the 1930-32 lowboy sometimes came with a model 111-112 chassis, which that example does not have since the escutcheon is wrong.
  Back when I lived in Alberta I used to chat with a fellow collector about the early four legged consoles, we called them "orange crates" since the later cheaper ones were built out of thing wood like an orange crate. My Philco 60L is built like one, the 1930-32 lowboy cabinets are close though they have more structure, but compared to my 1929 Canadian Westinghouse model 89 they are both like orange crates.
Regards
Arran

>What's the set sitting next to the 1929 Philco lowboy (the one with the fan grille)?
Are you referring to the one between the Philco  and the AK?
If so it's a Crosley w/a dynocone spkr not sure of the exact model but looks like a bandbox of some description. Early ac set.
The one second from the end on the rt might be another AK in a Pooley cab but not sure.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The one next to the model 87 Philco (the 1929 Philco lowboy), with two blondish panels near the top.
Regards
Arran

Don't know.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

thanks for your input.  They are on ebay for under $500.  Are they worth offering say $300.00?  They are less than 50 miles from where I live so easy pickup.  I'm new in this fun radio business so I have no idea of values, availability or repair ability.  It would be a major purchase for me.  Not so much in $$$, but in storage space!

Is there any way to go and view them? A group picture from 20 feet across a room isn't a lot to go buy in terms of coming up with a bid. For example the two old console cabinets on one end may be just that, with no chassis inside. As for the rest you don't really know whether they are complete or not, like you don't know if someone plucked all the tubes out, or if the speaker is missing, power transformer missing, etc, without looking in the back. The A.K looks like it has suffered some water damage, some of the others probably need refinishing. You could still make an offer without viewing them, but you should keep it as low as possible, I would not pay more then about $150 site unseen. You have a hodge podge of different makes and models, some from different eras, to get what you want you have to take the one's you don't. I don't really understand why they can't break up the lot and either list them in smaller lots or sell them separately. As I keep trying to explain to people, it's not the purchase price that's the expensive part, it's the restoration.
Regards
Arran

Thanks!  The auction ends soon with 0 bids.  I may try to contact the guy and go see them.  There are pics of the backside of some of them on ebay. Those that are shown look to be fairly complete but a close inspection would be good.  I may try to do that after the auction ends.

>The auction ends soon with 0 bids.

That could be you in a few yrs!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

You are most likely absolutely correct!  Or my kids when I'm gone.  I tend to horde.

these are up for sale now on the local Craigs list.  Probably can get them for $200. Here's a link if you're interested in commenting.  Anything desirable, or would i be filling up my barn with junk, as I said before, for my kids to deal with?  he says he has some table radios as well.  At this point, maybe I should be more interested in them.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ele/d...20796.html

What is a Freshman Masterpiece? ... Googled it - bad radios, belly up in the depression.  Still interesting though.

I would snag those up in a New York minute, no ifs, ands or buts!!! Those look like they are, or could be something special- you never know what the "tabletops" are, either; could be even better.  Icon_thumbup

I may try to look at the stuff today.  It's just plain a lot of "stuff"!

Nothing that particularly floats my boat in there, but the price is right and at one time most of us would have jumped on it at $200.

Random thoughts:

- The back of image# 13 looks like a Zenith, but there is no front shot of it. 

- Freshman made a ton of three dial battery sets in the mid-twenty's.  Most are good quality but not really rare.

- Those tubes in the Freshman, if good, are worth at least $10 each (01A's) at a swap meet.

-  If you buy a lot like this make sure there are at least 2, 3, or 4 that you really like, then discipline yourself to sell the rest individually after cleaning them up.

-  There are actually 10 radios in the Craigslist ad.  Image# 13 and #14 don't appear in the eBay group shot of 8 radios.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"