Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 256F UK Model ?

Hi Everyone.
My first time on this Phorum . I am a collector and restore vintage radios as a hobby. This beautiful UK Philco radio I picked up from South Yorkshire England. What is interesting is I cannot find any reference on the internet regarding this model 256F. None of the UK Phorums have seen this exact model either.
The problem is, its complete except the gramophone section which is missing. The only set I can see is the American 26J the cabinet looks identical but chassis completely different. I cannot see any pictures of the Gramophone deck for the 26J on any sites. I wanted to try and find the correct deck for this set before restoration. Would there be anyone out there who could send me pictures of the 26J deck please ?
Please see the pictures below.
Thank you for your help in advance Icon_smile
Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

The chassis looks an awful lot like a Phlco 50 chassis, and the speaker is the 8" one. the xfmr is likely underneath the chassis.
Maybe you could use that.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Morzh
Thanks for the info. Yes just looked up the Model 50 chassis and apart from the HT caps and a couple of differences I think your right! at least this is a start recognizing the chassis . Thanks for your help
Dave.

Just noticed what is interesting is the Model 50 is a TRF set the one I have is a superhet receiver. The chassis layout is just like the model 50 though. Not sure the age of it now either thought about 1933 same as the 26J set?

Hi Dave and welcome,
The chassis does look a lot like the US model 50 BUT your set is a superhet where as the 50 is the old trf design. More than likely it's closer to the model 52. The output tube in the rear view of your set looks a bit small to be a #47 tube. Looks more like a 2A5 (2.5v heater) or the newer 42 (6.3v heater). Don't know if there is a corresponding US model. Here's the data on the 52:  http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...029635.pdf

My best guess on the Gramophone is that it's a UK built devise, again may not be anything over here that looks like it.
Perhaps others may have some more encouraging news.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Dave

The chassis is likely the same as - or similar to - the export model 255E, which is a version of the USA model 52 (superheterodyne) except that it adds one or two more frequency bands in addition to MW (the standard AM band as it's called here).

The gramophone (phonograph in the USA) is surely the same as the single play 78 rpm phonographs incorporated into such USA sets as the 296, Concert Grand, 270, 22L, 24L, 25L, etc. - only with a 220 volt 50 cycle motor instead of the 110 volt 60 cycle motor used in the USA. The heavy "bat wing" RCA-designed tone arm with magnetic pickup was likely used in this model as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Guys
Thanks all so much for your information. I have now found the picture of the deck and have seen one of these before on ebay in the UK so will keep an eye open for one. Want to restore this with all the correct parts. The cabinet is in pretty good condition and I will keep the original speaker cloth will post another thread on the restoration section when I start work on the set in a weeks time. The Valve in question is a 42.
Dave Icon_smile

Further research has indicated part of the information I gave you previously was incorrect.

I was thinking of UK model 55, not 255. The 255 is a later model and is a battery operated receiver.

Model 55 is a TRF set, like the USA model 50; but it has two bands (LW and MW). It uses the same tubes/valves as Model 50 (three type 24, a 47, and an 80).

Model 56 (and Model 256 Radiogram) is similar to USA model 52, with two distinct differences: It also has two bands (LW and MW), and it uses 6.3 volt tubes! Two type 36, a 44, a 42, and an 80.

For those of us in the USA, that begs the question: Why didn't Philco use 6.3 volt tubes in Model 52?

My thought: Philco had already designed Model 51, 1932 was the worst year of the Great Depression here, and so it was easier to slap a new model number on an old chassis and make the 51 become the 52.

Dave, if you need service info, I have it...let me know. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron
Sorry for the late reply been on holiday. Thanks for this information as the UK radio sites no one can really give me much help. I think you also answered another of my questions. The valve line up is 80,42,36E however the other two of the top cap valves one has no writing on it and the other is missing so assume these are type 44 valves. Help from all of you has been really appreciated and I will get this old girl working again Icon_smile
Ron would there be any chance you could email me any service data you have on this set.
Many thanks to you all and will start another post on the restoration. Due to time and work it will be a slow restoration .
Can I just say Happy Christmas to you all and have a happy new year!!
Dave

Hi Guys
Just a quick question is the Philco 44 valve the same as a 39/44?
Thanks
Dave

39 and 44 tubes are interchangeable and I have seed some labeled 39/44.

Thanks Bob :Icon_smile

39/44 is the successor tube to both 39 and 44 that were so close that I guess they decided to unify the two into one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(12-21-2017, 08:08 AM)Radiomad1 Wrote:  Ron would there be any chance you could email me any service data you have on this set.

Done. Merry Christmas and happy 2018 to you as well. Icon_smile Check your email...check your spam box if you don't see it in your inbox.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks so much Ron this is a real help! Now I have the service data will be able to sort this radio out.
As I have said I will start a new thread on the restoration of the set.
Couldn't have got this far without you Guys. Ordered myself a 39/44 valve and a spare 36 before I get started on it.
Dave