Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deoxit vs other contact cleaners

I see a lot of folks talking about deoxit. What's the benefit vs a regular old electrical contact cleaner?

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Caig labs makes several cleaners. They vary in strength and purpose, from lubing and protecting to cleaning with various degree of strength. D-series, the actual cleaning one, has 5% to 20% cleaning agent strength.
And their claim is - it is safe for plastics, though they do recommend to try it first if not sure.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

At work I used Deoxit Gold a lot for all the gold contacts and edge connectors.  I used the 100% liquid G-100L for contacts I could reach and wipe off the excess and the Gold G5 5% spray for areas I couldn't.  It was expensive but overall I felt the products were well worth the premium in price for their performance.  

You need to do a little research on which product is best for what your use will be.  For old radios I think the D series and Fader F series should do the trick.  While I have a can of the D spray I'm still using up some conventional sprays and haven't made a valid comparison yet.

One last thought is to do some price shopping once you decide what you want to buy.  Sometimes Amazon is cheaper, sometimes eBay is cheaper, and I think the last time I found a music or guitar store on the Internet to be the best price.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"