Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ford Philco auto radio

[attachment=14997][attachment=14997]
I just purchased a Ford Philco radio for my 1970 F100. It has two wires that are terminated in a plug for the speaker. It also has the blue wire that goes to the bulb.
There is one other wire that is solid black...is the the 12V input wire?

Attached Files Image(s)

Since most all of those type radios were chassis ground, (radio chassis) that would be the assumption of that wire... Isn't that a  + symbol on that black wire next to the radio chassis?  Icon_biggrin It's usually in your best interest to connect the ground first before operation...

The black wire in this instance is for radio power.  I work on vintage Mustang radios and the earlier ones use black for power while some of the later 60's units utilize yellow for power.  Looking at the part number on the radio casing (D2TA) your radio decodes as a 1972 truck radio.  There is lots and lots of interchange between these various Ford radios.  I always have to remind my customers that the black wire is not ground but for power!

Craig R

That face looks exactly as the one in my Uncles old '73 Torino wagon. I recall removing that around '79 and installing an AM/FM model in its place... only 2 FM stations came in within a 50 mile radius of where we lived at that point... Icon_lol