Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tread base electrolytic caps

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about rebuilding threaded base electrolytic caps?  I did one awhile back and it came out, well just say, not so pretty.

Ralph, there are a number of ways to do them. One way can be seen in my Philco 50 thread about 8 posts into the thread is where the electrolytic cap work starts.

Chuck shows another way on the Philco Repair Bench.

Bob,   Thanks for the tips.   I have to take another look at my cap but I think it’s crimped on the bottom with the lead connection coming out of the middle of the crimp through a rubber insulator.   I still might just cut it.    I’ve placed a cardboard tube cut to an approximate length and diameter with the length just a bit longer than the cap then pushed the base on with some clear silicone sealer on the cardboard to glue it all together.  Lots of experience out there to be tapped into and thought maybe someone had a miracle fix.  ?

post a picture of what you have. I'm positive someone on here has stuffed it before.

Will do.   I’m new here so gotta figure out how to do that without blowing up the site.  Lol.

There are a couple of ways and then some.

My favourite two are:

1. If the cap has the cap (no pun intended) with a deep groove, I cut it around the groove, restuff and then glue the cap back.
2. In case the cap has no cap but has the groove at the bottom, and is held by a clamp, I cut above the groove so the cut would be hidden inside the clamp, then put a plastic pipe piece of reasonable length and fitting diameter inside and glue both halves to it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

see this to add photos..
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=29

Thanks for the guidance!

Thanks klondike98!    For some reason I pictured the caps smoothly formed on top without a crimped cap.   I was wrong.  I checked out your links and the restuffing worked out excellent.  Much neater job than my previous attempts.   I used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, cutting about midway thru the narrow section.  I first marked a vertical line with a sharpie starting from the top and down the side approx 1”.  I then cut around the cap.  I used the line to realign the cap matching the cut.  A little alcohol and the line is gone after restuffing.  Thanks again!

Icon_thumbup